It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:25 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: petty advice for a lefty
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:43 pm 

I am in the market for a petty to use as my primary line knife. I would prefer carbon, and would prefer a Japanese handle as I’d like to try one out, but would be okay with western. 150 length, as I’m looking for something that won’t get in the way on the very tight line I work on.

I’m left handed
I do have sharpening supplies and am slowly starting to not suck at it. Waterstones. I have a medium and a couple fine, and am getting some honing supplies. At some point down the road I’ll pick up a rough, but want to make sure I know what I’m doing before I get that aggressive.

Here’s what I’ve been looking at and why I haven’t pulled the trigger on any of them. Looking for feedback on my choices and other options I may have missed.

Konosuke White #2 petty 150 – this looks awesome and is basically in my price range, but I’ve heard it’s extremely thin. I like thin, but I want something that’s versatile as I may end up doing any number of chores with it. And not everyone working on my line is very careful with knives, so I’m worried about the fragility?

Tojiro ITK kurouchi petty 150 – I’d be psyched to not spend a bunch of money, I can always get something fancier down the road if I decide I love petties. The big issue is the d grip. I understand I could sand down the handle to make it oval, but is the ferrule also d-shaped? That would probably be weird

Moritaka Supreme petty 150 – starting to get to be more than I want to spend. Also I’ve heard on other forums about grind issues with Moritaka.

Kanehiro petty 150 – definitely more than I want to spend. Again, this is for use on a busy line with a lot of people who aren’t very careful with their gear, so I’m hesitant to spend a lot and then be freaking out on people for looking at my knife the wrong way.

So that’s my list. Feedback? I’m also interested on if any of them have more or less symmetrical grinds. I understand they’re all 50/50 bevels, but are they also 50/50 grinds?

For point of reference, other knives in my slowly building kit are:
Hiromoto AS 210 gyuto (ordered with lefty bevel from JCK)
Henckels 210 chef knife, don’t know what model
Fujiwara FKH 270 carbon gyuto (ordered with levty bevel from JCK)
CCK 1301 cleaver (ordered recently from CKTG, sweet!)
Shun small paring knife

Thanks, it's been fun lurking this forum, lots of great knowledge!

Mark

Post subject: Re: petty advice for a lefty
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark!

Ok, Good petty, not a lot of money, lefty friendly = http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moao2pe13.html

The grind issues you've read about are a non issue and if you did get a bad knife from me I'll always replace if free of charge. It simply hasn't been a problem and they're excellent knives. The aogami #2 line is cheaper and really good for a line knife. The supreme series is more money and uses aogami super steel which is harder and holds an edge longer but it's a little more chip prone so in your case I actually like the less expensive aogami #2 line better.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:10 pm 

that does look like it would fit the bill, and your replacement policy certainly sets my mind at ease. Any chance of getting it in a 150? The 130 is definitely too short for what I am looking for. If anything I would consider going longer, i.e. 180, if the right knife was only available in that length, but not shorter.

Thanks Mark!

Mark

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:27 pm 

Considered the Hiromoto AS 150mm? Yo-handle though...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:52 pm 

I'm not totally against a yo handle, though since I already have a hiromoto as I'd like something else just to become familiar with more makers

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:12 pm 

I use the Moritaka Supreme 150 as my line knife and couldnt be more pleased. there was no grind issue at all in my case (and even if yours got one, Mark would take care of it without any hassle) and the Aogami steel is excellent with less reactivity than you would imagine. Working a very busy grill station, where all my proteins get sliced in one way or another, still leaves the petty nice and sharp. I only touch it up once MAYBE twice a week on my stones.
Hope i was some help

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:32 am 
Site Admin

You don't have to worry about grind issues at all on the Moritakas. Most of the bloviating you hear is by a competitor that thinks he can prop himself up by attacking others. I've really had no problems with them and as mentioned I would take it back with a full refund at anytime if you don't like it. If you read some of the customer reviews on the item pages for Moritaka you'll get a good feel of what they're like from customers that actually own and use the knives. They're not perfect, I wish they would round their spines and offer a shinny finish other than the kurouchi option but they perform. As my pal Salty said, they're like an entry level Ferrari of kitchen knives.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:15 am 

that all sounds good. Does the moritaka blue #2 petty exist in the 150 length?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

I can get them but we sell the aogami super (supreme line) 10 to 1 over the blue 2 so I may discontinue the blue 2 ones. Not looking to add to them at the moment. The honesuki is one I would add just because the softer steel is better suited to that type of knife but I have to think about it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]