It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:47 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finishing/Polishing Stone Recommendation
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:24 am 
Forum Moderator

Melampus <> +1 Beautifully stated. It is in that 'just right' range for so many edges that one might want with that bite + clean cut zone that you just don't seem to get with synthetics.

"whatever other cool stuff Ken is hiding" - We are due for a chat :) Some more cool stuff is on the way to add to 'the vault' :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:05 pm 

I'm definitely intrigued by the Yaginoshima as the description of being able to produce an edge that is very sharp, but still with tooth is what I am looking for in my kitchen knives.

There is quite a price difference between the "small" and the "large" sizes. I haven't worked on anything but a standard-size stone (and synthetics, at that). Is there a general guideline where the small Yaginoshima starts to get too small to easily use?

I know, always buy the biggest one you can get your hands on, but...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

The small one is 180mm x 60mm. 1 Pounds 14oz.

I find this stone size quite comfortable to sharpen on. You pay quite a bit more for bigger stones. Now if you like big exotic high end stones, I do have a $3000 Marukei Nakayama (not Maruka, but Marukei) that you would like and another long and narrow Nakayama for $200 that would be perfect for straight razors for instance. Larger size goes to increased rarity, so a real large stone of high quality can get quite pricey, with some stones going in the tens of thousands of dollars - and some that are just not for sale. I also have a really interesting variety of naturals in a 100x50 mm size that are pretty rare, but this is something I haven't really gone over on any forums yet. I got these more for my own collection to 'taste' some rare stones that would be affordable enough to not have to sell everything to get my hands on them.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

JEFF <> The "small" Yagi is not particularly small. It's slightly smaller than say a standard 3"x8", but overall it's pretty average in size. I'm perfectly content sharpening my largest blade, a 276mm on her, and I'm a sweeper so...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:02 am 

I'm intrigued too; any idea when you'll be getting more in Ken?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:05 am 
Forum Moderator

Hoping within the week. Just got the news. OM me to reserve as they arex quickly being spoken for.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:18 am 
Forum Moderator

I have one of the small Yaginoshima's as well and it's size is fine, around 2" wide, 7" or so long and 1" or so thick just going by rough memory. Plenty of room even for a 300mm suji!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:03 am 

Ken - PM sent.

Arnie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:25 am 
Forum Moderator

Email reply returned, Arnie. It's getting hard to empty out the PM box so please just send me email to ksskss at earthlink.net . Almost lost a couple of PMs :(

Considering the large price difference between the 7" and 8" sizes, I've chosen to get the 7" size Yaginoshima as a better value. If someone has to have a bigger one, just let me know but it would be a special order and roughly double the price.

I'm really pleased with the interest in the Yaginoshima and Meara stones. I'm out of the large Tajima for now, other than the one piece I used in the video, but the small Tajima are still available on CKTG.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tajimanakado.html

They won't last much longer :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sold out of Yaginoshima Asagi and Meara for now. That first batch of Yaginoshima Asagi got used up filling backorders. I'm expecting more Yaginoshima Asagi soon and Meara might be a bit longer. PM me if you want to reserve either. I'm also out of Tajima and will be expecting some with the Yaginoshima shipment.

---
Ken

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next