It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:44 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Knife for hubby
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

hi there,

Im looking to purchase a knife set for my husband for fathers day and was wondering if someone could direct me as to which knife would be best for him. I have been researching a few knives online and I know I would like to buy him a Japanese style brand knife. I am just not sure which brand to buy. My husband loves knives and does love to cook and grill. I am just looking to purchase a starter chefs knife and possibly a smaller knife as well. Please help! :)

Thank you so much!

Naomi

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Knife for hubby
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

How much did you want to spend?
Does he know how to sharpen?
Did you want stainless?
Is he left handed?

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
Chefknivestogo

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

I was hoping to keep it between $100-$200. If there is a good deal I'm willing to spend a little more.

I'm pretty sure he knows how to sharpen.

Is stainless the best to have?

He is right handed

Thanks!

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Naomi,

I would highly recommend you spend your money on 1 good knife instead of a set of mediocre knives. With your budget you will be able to get him a really good all purpose gyuto (chef knife).
For you I would recommend you get a stainless knife. There are plenty of good ones available.

Try this. It stretches you budget but it's a great stainless knife that I'm sure he would love.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rila21.html

On the lower end this knife is good too and it's a really good deal: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkm24wa.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:53 pm 

Being a husband "that loves to cook and grill," I'd be drooling over either the 210 mm or the 240 mm Richmond Laser. It's got some of the best stainless available on the market today, at pretty much any price, and the "laser" design makes them very nimble and easy to work with.

It is a top-end knife, one that I suspect exceeds the performance of what many professional cooks use, without getting into the "You spent how much on a knife?" range. It seems to be at that sweet spot where you are still getting large increases in performance with incremental money spent, without getting into esoterica where you have to spend hundreds more to get an improvement that many would never notice in use. You're not spending money for a big-name brand and fancy kanji on the blade, but instead are putting it into the design, steel, forging, and grind, where it really matters.

I know Mark is trying to fit within your budget, but I think the additional $10 to get a 240 mm one would be well worth it. At the 240-mm length it is still plenty small to deal with veggies on the countertop, as well as being able to slice that beautifully grilled piece of meat with ease.

I definitely would want a Richmond Laser gyuto over two $100 knives, even if it was the only knife I had. Especially if it was the only good knife I had! I can do a lot with a good gyuto, right down to mincing shallots with the tip. The few things that it would be awkward to use the gyuto for (coring tomatoes, for example), something like a 3" Victorinox paring knife for well under $10 could handle.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:55 pm 

I wouldn't recommend a laser to anyone who didn't specifically want one, any more than I would a "carbon." Lasers are too fragile and too flexible for most cooks without special skills or interest, just as carbons are too needy.

The Richmond Addict2 AEB-L and Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef Wa-Gyuto are excellent, first, really-high quality, stainless, wa-gyuto (Japanese style handle) -- and in the right price range.

In a regular western handle, the MAC Pro Mighty 9-1/2" Chef's is extremely durable, comfortable, easy to maintain, easy-to-sharpen, and cuts better -- by light years -- than any European knife the DH in question has ever used. I hate to sound like the guy on the Dos Equis commercials, but I've given a lot of knives as gifts over the past decade or so, they've ALL been MAC Pro, and have all been well loved.

Stay sharp my friend,
BDL

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]