It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 8-10K recommendations for a razor finishing stone
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:19 pm 

Chef Knives has a good sale going and I wanted to pick up a replacement for my Norton 8K. - While I have found it to be acceptable in most cases, it does like to clog and is not very fast. Feedback is so-so.

I would really like something fast, durable, with a minimum of soaking wait time. As you can tell I shoot for immediate satisfaction, yet understand realities and trade-offs. Of the many possibilities I had narrowed things down to a Bester/Imanashi 8K or a Sigma Power 10K. It seems though the Sigma Power may not last as long or cut faster than a 8K Bester- though it's reviews are stellar, & it may get a git finer finish but costs like 25% more after shipping. It also seems the Bester, like the Sigma only requires a "spritz" of water, not a soaking in this finish/hardness range- a definite time saving plus!

I have a Chinese 12K natural (which is more like a 6K with slurry that will slowly become a 8/9K as the slurry breaks down- I never got to 12K with one) A Norton 220/1000 & 4K/8K combo and DMT Course and Extra/Course plates.

I have a UF Spyderco ceramic 10K dry stone that works great as a finisher or for touch-ups. A Sigma 13K is a possibility in the future as well as a Bester 1200 for the initial bevel but I would really like to sell off all the Nortons after purchasing recommended replacements.

I am not of the school of ultra-fine razor finishing but I do strop with CrOx &/or 0.5 diamond on hard felt after honing , together with linen & latigo strops that are used after each hone and before each shave.

Your recommendations are valued.
Thanks, Joe

Post subject: Re: 8-10K recommendations for a razor finishing stone
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:24 pm 

Joe. i would get a Naniwa SS 8k or a Shapton pro 8k both stones are splash and go and fast cutting.

links

Naniwa
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/na80grsust1c.html

Shapton
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shpro80.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:35 am 
Forum Moderator

"I am not of the school of ultra-fine razor finishing but I do strop with CrOx &/or 0.5 diamond on hard felt after honing ,"

I would consider a half micron finish or 32,000 grit finish pretty fine. That you are jumping from a 8k to a 32k or a 4x jump finish still means you are going to a rather fine finish. Going to a quarter or eighth micron isn't that far away.

But back to the 8k. I think you would get an improvement with most of the 8k stones available - Snow White, Nubatama, Shaptons. I believe the 8k Norton is actually a bit coarser when you compare microns to microns between the Norton and other Japanese stones.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:47 pm 

Thank you to all as this thread helped me as well.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]