It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Hitachi's patented steels and Rockstead knives
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:48 pm 

I'm curious, has anyone had opportunity to work with Hitachi's YXR7 or the HAP72? Apparently Rockstead has prototyped a HAP72 blade with a final HRC of 70, but they claim they were also able to get a fair amount toughness out of it as well, despite the fact that this steel is literally at the top of the chart regarding strength and wear resistance. About 2.1 Carbon and 9.5 Cobalt among other alloys, but Cobalt is the starring alloy in the film. I also found at least one bladesmith offering the HAP72 in a chef's knife.

$1200 - $2000 for a production folding knife. Gotta love a company like Rockstead that has figured out how to wring out every drop of performance from some of Hitachi's most coveted proprietary steels. I guess if you can figure out heat treating and edge geometry enough to produce blades that will make 290+ cuts through 1" hemp rope and still slice magazine paper with abandon, you've done something right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PRgRLZ_bdI and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC-4zEYP1wA . They're fun videos if you haven't watched them already.

Rockstead claims that most users need only to strop their edges for months on end when it comes to their YXR7 or ZDP 189, but at some point the steel's got to hit the stone and that ultra expensive mirror finish will be compromised. Of course they figure most users will just send it back to Rockstead for sharpening, but that would take all the fun out of it! -Josh

Post subject: Re: Hitachi's patented steels and Rockstead knives
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Never heard of Rockstead, HAP72 or YXR7.....all new to me. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:34 pm 

Yes, definitely check them out, Rockstead is an interesting study; they'l actually be attending the Blade Show in Atlanta this weekend. The Japanese are quite the artisans...they lead the way on a few my favorite subjects, motorsports technology, blades, and selvage denim.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:38 am 

Adam Marr wrote:Never heard of Rockstead, HAP72 or YXR7.....all new to me. :)

:o :o :o

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:04 am 

how in crap's name can you sharpen these ultra hard steels? i wonder if they get chippy

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:38 am 

Diamonds baby! Diamonds!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:55 am 

i dunno, prolly too much for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:46 am 
Forum Moderator

Rockstead does make some beautiful knives and with some of Hitachi's more exotic steels, which they seem to get their hands on early. They used Cowry y in their folders too (not X, but y). What is also unusual is their grind - convex on one side and flat on the other if I remember right. I've spoken to them at Blade show and other shows. Beautiful but exorbitantly expensive work. More of a gentleman's knife than a survivalist or hunter's style IMO. And yes you can use my finer CBN and diamond to touchup their edges to make them even sharper. I did that for them in their booth :) OOTB they do come with pretty nice edges.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:27 pm 

Nice Ken! Nothing like some good hands-on experience. Hitachi exotic steels + Atoma 140 = Winning!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5027/562 ... ed63_o.jpg - Take a look at this beauty.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

PRETTY! They do put out a beautiful knife. When I win the lotto, I'll get a few. And put a 0.025 micron poly edge on them!

---
Ken

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next