It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:50 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kono HD Suji
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

>
> Hi Mark, I have a Kikuichi TKC 240mm gyuto and I'm thinking on buying a second one. After doing some research on the forum, I've found out a better slicer would be a laser. I think the Konosuke HD2 240mm is one of the thinnest, am I right?. What I want is a better slicer than the Kikuichi. I'm opened to other models if they slice equally well if not better than the Konosuke. My budget limit is $350. I accept stainless and carbon. I prefer wa handle but I would accept western style.
>

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Kono HD Suji
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

>
> I highly recommend the Konosuke HD. It's one of the best sujis on our site.
> Kind Regards,
> Mark Richmond

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, thanks. I've also been reading the funayukis are thinner and are better for push cut but worse if you cut with a rocking motion. Am I also right? And last but not least, which one is thinner the 270mm or the 240mm? I have a couple other questions I'll ask you when you reply to this message. I'm not going to place the order yet as I'm an international customer. Thank you for your time.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Yes that is true with the gyutos. In general flatter profiles make push cutting easier and rocking less easy.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Although a thinner suji will cut better due to it's thinness, I like some stiffness to my suji's as well. I don't know....kind of a give and take. :)

Other very thin suji's to consider:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tayaasdoed27.html

Although not a true laser, Takeda's knives are very thin at and behind the edge.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rila27suae.html

Gonna be quite similar to the Konosuke.

Any of the Konosuke's would be very thin.....just pick your steel flavor.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:04 am 

The effect profiles (flat, French, German, etc.) and chopping styles (rock, glide, push) have on one another is complicated.

You can rock anything, even a chuka bocho or nakiri. A little belly is nice, but not necessary; the funayuki profile is sufficient. German profiles have a lot of belly, far more than is needed to rock. A rocking action used with a German profile transfers a lot of power. What's nice about power is that it can act as a substitute -- at least a little -- for sharpness.

Similarly, you can push cut anything. Flatter geometry allows you to make longer cuts, handle bigger bundles, and push-cut long pieces (as for julienne) without making accordion cuts.

I have four knives I might use as go-to gyuto at any given whim: 270mm Konosuke gyuto; 300mm Konosuke suji (as I use it as a gyuto sometimes); 10" Richmond Ultimatum; and 10" K-Sabatier au carbone. I can rock, push or glide any of them comfortably, and do whichever works best for the food being cut. The problem with "wrong" profiles is that it will tend to take your trained action over, if you're not paying attention. For instance, the glide starts with the tip angled down but not on the board; but if I were using a knife with almost no belly, the edge would end up parallel and I'd find myself push-cutting.

In any given profile, shorter knives emphasize belly and longer knives emphasize flat runs.

BDL

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:15 pm 

And comparing the funayuki vs the suji, which one slices better? And 240mm vs 270mm?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Suji's are generally shorter heightwise than gyutos and have less friction due to the less blade material. If you want to slice, get a suji. I would get the longest one you can use comfortably. I've used gyuto's to slice and the suji just does a better job.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:53 pm 

Ok, and what makes the funayuki to cut better than the gyuto, the thinner grind, the flat surface or a mix of both?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

Too many words flying around here.

A funayuki isn't a gyuto.....a funayuki is a traditional Japanese knife of single bevel design....nothing like a gyuto.

A gyuto is a double bevel knife ala a chef's knife.

A gyuto sold/marketed as a funayuki more refers to the shape of the blade. Often times a gyuto that is narrower is referred to as having a funayuki shape.

A funayuki shaped gyuto does not cut better than a wider shaped gyuto necessarily. In some instances, a funayuki shaped gyuto, due to it's narrower design, can cut certain items better....less surface area to drag through a pumpkin for instance.

Other than profile, the two shapes can share all the same remaining qualities....grind, thickness, thinness, steels, etc......just the profile is the difference.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next