It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wood overload!!
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:11 am 

Tim, we are too much alike...we need to trade pics of all our materials and knives! I love using those metallic dyed woods from Arizona Ironwood.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:27 pm 

Hey Taz, I was just 'paid' for a project with some chunks of cocobolo burl. Have you ever used that for knife handles? There's a picture here on my blog: http://www.lonestarartisans.com/will-work-for-wood/

John

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, Cocobolo is a nice wood! Dense and oily, it takes a nice shine to it and isn't all that affected by water. But some people are highly allergic to the dust of it, so be sure to wear a respirator!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:03 am 

taz575 wrote:Yeah, Cocobolo is a nice wood! Dense and oily, it takes a nice shine to it and isn't all that affected by water. But some people are highly allergic to the dust of it, so be sure to wear a respirator!

Thanks. We got into one of the chunks of burl and my friend began doubting it was cocobolo burl. Shipped off a sample to a professor of tree science (Dendrologist) who ran a bunch of tests on it... the result, Dalbergia Cochichinensis, or Siamese Rosewood Burl. Valuable as cocobolo burl is, apparently this stuff is worth considerably more. Talk about having a tiger by the tail...

I had one pen turned out of it so far and it's really cool-looking. Has the appearance of iridescent flakes of wood deep within the structure... like nothing I've ever seen before. I had a photographer take pictures today and will upload to my website when they are ready.

John

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:10 am 

John, cocobolo is great stuff, makes beautiful pieces, keep it and make something cool, just be careful when you are working it, wear your respirator for even the smallest of sanding tasks. I usually have to cover my arms and hands too, it makes my skin itch.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:01 am 
Forum Moderator

Some of the guys at Lamson ran into wood allergies with the Cocobolo and I think Mora or Morado; very serious itching and stuff, so they have to wear long sleeves and stuff when working with it. Wood allergies can be nasty!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:25 am 

What does dyed maple burl look like? Anyone got pics?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:04 am 
Forum Moderator

Maple Burl can be dyed many colors!

Natural Stabilized:

The knife on the bottom is Blue Maple Burl, but the dye didn't penetrate the wood as much in some areas as it did in others, so it has blues, purples and pale blue in it:

Box Elder looks similar to Maple burl, but with more eyes and less swirly grain, the one on the right is Blue Box Elder Burl:

2nd from the right is brown Maple Burl:

2 on the left are Black Maple Burl, then natural Pale Maple Burl, then Brown Maple Burl:

Maple Burl is sometimes dyed red, but it may end up looking more pink than red. Dark Purple is another color I have occasionally seen it in, along with green and orange. Box elder Burl seems to be dyed in more colors than I see Maple Burl dyed usually; it may take the dyes better? Redwood Burl also can be dyed. Sometimes the eyes in wood burls do not take the dye and stay a natural color while the other parts of the wood accept the dye, so you get a 2 tone affect. Other times, they mix 2 dyes to get different colors into the block.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:09 am 

Does Buckeye Burl dye well into the grains?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:45 am 
Forum Moderator

It usually does.

Natural Buckeye Burl, Stabilized on top, Green Dyed/Stabilized Buckeye Burl on the bottom:

2nd from left on bottom row is Orange Buckeye Burl, the scales in the middle of the bottom row are Brown Buckeye Burl:

Page 2 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next