It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:39 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Natural Stones
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:19 pm 

Ok, so before I ask my question, I am aware that by even asking I am in trouble . . . this may become a very expensive hobby. :roll: :roll:

I have an excellent selection of synthetic stones and only one natural stone. My only natural stone is a Ozuku Asagi (Koppa) and since it is a very fine polishing level stone, my natural experience is extremely limited. I would like to consider a progression of stones starting around the 1k level and progressing to around 8k. I do understand that with naturals there is no fixed grit levels, I am including this simply to frame the range I am interested in.

Just like the rest of the folks on this site, I sharpen a large variety of knives for myself and others. I am looking at the natural stones for the harder steel knives, not so much the German stuff.

Finally, I am wondering if I should simply get a finishing natural stone and use my synthetic stones for the majority of the work.

Ok, so please provide me with your suggestions for both a progression and one or two finishing stones depending on your perspective.

Post subject: Re: Natural Stones
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

We are on the same wavelength. I just got done doing a series of videos on a Moritaka gyuto, starting with a 180 grit Nubatama for removing the initial scratches from the rough finish using some either Atoma 140 or XXC scratches.. After that I did an all natural sequence as follows, introducing a few new stones:

Ohmura (Kyushu Ohmura)
Tajima
Meara
Yaginoshima Asagi
Shinden suita.

IT came out VERY nicely.

I did want to add a few other stones that I show in the first video, but this was the progression I settled on. The other stones included an Amakusa, a Wachi Aoto, a Nakayama Asagi and a Nakayama Iromono. The final edge on the Shinden Suita was just too nice to go further :)

While these work quite nicely for the Japanese knives, they certainly will work on softer German knives too.

I should have these posted in the next few days.

If you want some more detail about natural stones, just email me @ ksskss at earthlink dot net or call at 209 612 2790 and leave your phone number and I'll return the call. It might be a long call :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:30 pm 

Thinking about picking up a Amakusa after seeing the glowing reviews. Thoughts?

I would recommend adding in a Aoto if you have never tried one.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

The sequence I did is certainly not the only natural sequence, just a good sequence that worked out well and gave me a chance to show off some stones.

I'm a big aoto fan. Perhaps next time I'll use the Wachi Aoto in the next sequence I do. A litlle harder and finer than the Aono or Monzen.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:38 am 
Forum Moderator

I fell down the J Nat hole myself, but I have been finding myself using only a few lately. I have a Kyushu Ohmura that I rarely use, an Amakasu J Nat, again, rarely used, an Aoto that is around 3-5K and a bit harder than other Aoto's. I also have a Synthetic Blue Aoto from CKTG that I use as well, much softer than my J nat Aoto! After the Aoto's, I have a Meara, 2 different Takashima's, Yaginoshima Asagi, and Ozuka Asagi Koppa. I follow up with a leather strop to deburr after each grit. I usually use a Latte 400 and Bester 1200 to start an edge bevel, then a Aoto and Shobu. I will often stop at the Shobu unless I want a really crazy sharp edge. Knives that see meat slicing duties I stop at the Shobu usually, or the Aoto. The Meara may replace the Shobu.

If I am doing a Kasumi progression, I use the Latte 400, King 800, Synthetic Blue Aoto and then stopped there. The Yaginoshima Asagi is my next step from there now that I have it! I tried it on my Tojiro Itk Kiritsuke that I left off at the Synthetic Blue Aoto and it left a beautiful finish and contrast and I could see layers in the cladding!

I would look for a good Aoto and then the Meara. If you want the kasumi finish, get the Yaginoshima Asagi.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:23 am 
Forum Moderator

I finished uploading the sequence and will post it in a separate thread in the videos section ...

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:11 am 
Forum Moderator

Here's the link to it :

moritaka-gyuto-japanese-natural-stone-sharpening-t2838.html

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]