It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:43 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: In the market for a deba
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Mark,

I am still in the market for a deba and the global G7 caught my eye. I was looking for a thicker western style that separates itself from just a thick chef knife. I know the global is single bevel, but I was wondering how thick it was compared to its other Japanese brethren.

Thanks as always.

P.S- as you see I am now with a different company, still rocking the addict 2, and still loving CKTG!

Pat

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: In the market for a deba
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Pat,

Tell me more about what you are using it for and what are your preferences? The steel on the Global is pretty average so we may be able to get you a better knife for the same price.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:15 pm 

I would be using it to learn the basics. As well as using it to break down smaller fish such as snapperswhich iI can get whole from my grocer. I would also like a knife where I can break a chicken down, which is why I am leaning toward a western style, however I don't like most western styles as I have no need for a thick chef knife. Bear in mind when I break down chicken, I do not hack through bones, but rather slice through the joints.

Any information would help as far as size. I just don't Want to invest in something that I realize down the line is the wrong choice.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:31 pm 

If you're learning how to break down fish "Japanese style" then, if you want a deba, you really want a single-bevel deba, at least in my opinion.

One of the few steps where you need the "weight" of the deba is removing the head. You can do that with a cheap or otherwise robust knife of most any sort to protect the edges on your "good" knife. You can break down sea bream, snapper, and even small salmon with a santoku, petty, or well-balanced gyuto along with your favorite "whacker" for dealing with the head.

Where the deba shines for me are in the way a single-bevel "tracks" the bone or board in a way that a double-bevel knife doesn't. I find that I really miss the way the deba works on filleting on a way that other knives don't. The deba is a special-purpose knife that has evolved into its form for good reason.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:54 pm 

What deba would you reccomend for beginner to the style then. I think traditional debate is the way to go. I use my yanagi frequently, so I am familiar with single bevel use and maintenance. I have been cooking for 13 years professionally, and know the technique involved. Any help is appreciated as far as brand and length.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:37 am 
Forum Moderator

I would look for a 165-180mm Deba for most smaller fish. Tojiro and Tanaka both have inexpensive carbon Deba's in 180mm. 165mm may be a bit too small, depending on the fish you are breaking down.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro2.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanaka.html

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

I believe the G7 is hollow backed, is it not? Like a traditional deba....so it's not double beveled.

If this were me, I'd get something like:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taka18bl2de.html

Great knife, and a traditional single bevel is not something you want to dive into with your first knife being a cheap example.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:58 pm 

Forgive me posters, for I have sinned.

I scummed to the tabloid-esque slender lines and dimply seduction that is the Global brand.

For the first time in my career I looked at asthetics first on an appliance...ICK.

Thank you all for the replies and assistance, and it looks like the Tanaka is the way to go. Now if only Mr. Richmond could get them back in stock, or perhaps the Kaneshige 180mm. I have a 270mm Kaneshige Yanagi, and for the price there is NOTHING better than that one. I am glad I got one when I did.

Any other tips let me know!!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]