It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:18 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Looking for a new knife
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

<redstickboy> - Make sure that you are OK with the blade height on the Addict. It's about 55mm - much taller than the Hiromoto, and taller than many other gyutos. Some people like tall gyutos, some people don't.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, that's true...the Addict has that taller gyuto profile. Thanks Steve!

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:10 pm 

The 9-1/2" Maestro Wu that I gave my son had a 52mm blade height and I liked it even though I have smallish hands so it's not a real issue. If the blade is worth it, I can "learn to love" the wa handle. Appreciate all of the help on this issue.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:19 pm 

More questions:
The Artiflex 240mm Extra Tall and the Addict 2 have VERY similar technical details except for the weight and the PRICE. Am I missing something here?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:53 pm 

Am I missing something here?

Quite a bit. Even though the Artifex and Addict have a lot in common they are hugely different knives. The Artifex is high-value entry-level; while the Addict is high-value wa-gyuto. Both high value, but in different universes.

The Artifex competes with the Fujiwara FKM and Tojiro DP. The Addict competes with the Gesshin Uraku and Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef wa.

Based on your first post, I still think you owe it to yourself to consider the Richmond Ultimatum in AEB-L (stainless), Bohler 390 (powdered metallurgical stainless), or 51200 (carbon). All three of those Ultimata manage to combine the benefits of a Sabatier and a Maestro Yu, while being significantly better than both. The only drawback is that your son will steal it too.

BDL

PS. Despite sharing the Ultimatum name, the HD version is an altogether knife -- something of a laser

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:52 pm 

How about the Addict 2 in AEB-l at 240mm? It appears that Mark is a victim of his own success and is out of the knives we have discussed with no "light at the end of the tunnel" for a new shipment?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Addict 2 is a great knife that I don't think you'll be disappointed in.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:46 pm 

With regard to the Artifex Extra tall, the description on the site does say that it is a western handled Addict, and the blade logo says Addict and not Artifex.

I have never handled a wa handled Addict or a traditional size Artifex, so unfortunately I cannot speak to the difference in the grind, and whatever other factors that make the Addict the superior knife. I do have the Artifex extra tall, and love it. It's performance was greatly improved with thinning, but I've seen people mentioning that as an improvement for both the Artifex and the Addict, and pretty much any other non laser knife for that matter.

All I know is that it is described as a western addict, says addict on the blade, and most importantly, is ninety dollars well spent.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2