It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:58 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: First Knife Recommendations:Richmond vs Kono HD
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:42 am 

When my fiancée and I were first together she got in a tizzy at PF Changs over whether to order steamed or fried dumplings. I ordered both. Solved.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:55 am 
Forum Moderator

8-) ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:41 pm 

:cry: OKAY I'M DONE. Konosuke HD it is, now got to find an open window to buy it cause they are usually gone in the first 5 seconds.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:34 am 
Forum Moderator

Anything worth having is worth waiting for, and the HD is OH SO WORTH IT...

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:57 am 
Forum Moderator

<Syndcatenova> - I ordered a 240 Kono HD (standard profile) over the weekend and Sue sent me an email this morning that someone ahead of me got the last one. She checked with Mark and he said they have 50 more on order, but they don't know exactly when they will arrive.

I was really on the fence (like on a pointy fence) between the standard profile 240 and the Funayuki HD2 240 version, so I went with the Funayuki profile. They do have those in stock if that happens to be your preference vs the standard 240. Melampus and MadRookie really extol the virtues of the Funayuki profile Kono HD. I'll just need to take a bit more care and attention when guiding the more pointed tip of the Funi profile, but it sure sounds like I'll get a bit more versatility to do detail work with the tip in return.

If you really want the standard 240 HD, do wait for it - listen to Melampus.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:18 am 

Thanks Steve for the info :)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:20 am 

I was on the fence between the Richmond vs Kono HD when this thread began. Got my 240 HD last week :D

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:24 am 
Forum Moderator

<Los Altos> - Sooooo, what do you think of the Kono HD? We want to read as you wax poetically about golden warm glow that envelopes the kitchen whenever you pull the Kono from the saya/knife block/drawer, etc. :-).

Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:47 pm 

I have a mix of Tojiro/Fujiwara/Misono/ and a Maruyoshi. Mostly western handles with a few D wooden ones. This is my first laser. I have a 240 Fuji FKM that is my main blade. I sharpen the edge at 12 degrees on my EP. When I got the Kono I was impressed with the FF/presentation of the knife. Like most people, I held it and admired it a lot, taking in what a great blade it was. IMO the blade was very sharp out of the box. I just stropped it a bit before giving it a workout. One thing I must say, and it may be because of my skill level, I wasn’t blown away by the blade cutting or sharpness. Comparing it to my Fuji, there was barely a noticeable difference. Onions, tomatoes, carrots etc. were equally at ease with either knife. With a bit less weight, and a wa-handle, I felt I could get some more speed with the Kono, but it was a speed I wasn’t efficient at yet. As far as edge retention, its barely been a week since Ive had it, and the edge seems to be holding up well. So whether Im not skilled enough to appreciate the Kono, or the Fuji is just a great knife, I feel comfortable reaching for either knife in most situations.

Don’t get me wrong, I really love this knife, and it will stay with me forever. The Kono is one of those knives where just taking it out to do some work escalates the event for the user.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

<Los Altos> - To what grit level are you sharpening your 240 FKM? Just curious. I'm assuming the FKM is holding 12 degree edges acceptably well for you. If so, that's nice to know.

I guess this simply reinforces BDL's premise that two of the most important aspects of knife performance are the quality (sharpness) of the edge and the knife skills the user possesses. We often get too entrenched in the minutia of steel, profiles, handles, thinness, etc. There is indeed much wisdom to be gleaned from reading these forums.

Page 3 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next