It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:55 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Saya Care
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:54 am 

I know this is the Knife Q&A section, but I was curious as to what kind of care yo guys do for your sayas? They're wood, appear untreated, so I dont think there would be a problem with some warm water and soap. Maybe followed by some mineral oil?

Post subject: Re: Saya Care
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:48 am 
Forum Moderator

ALTOS <> Depends on the saya as not all are raw. Some are oiled, some are lacquered, some are painted, some are composite, etc...

On raw wood - yes, a warm soap solution used just to wipe is fine, but you can treat them just like raw Wa's. When I "seal" handles I let the wood get wet and then let it air dry. This might have no effect on your handles/sayas, but in all likelihood will cause the grain to rise. I then sand it lightly with fine paper, then with 000 steel wool. Slather the handles/sayas pretty liberally with a beeswax/mineral oil paste consisting of 20% beeswax:80% mineral oil mixed in a double-boiler, wipe off excess, let it sit overnight, then buff it in the morning. You could do that a few nights in a row or as needed until the handle feels silky smooth, polished and “sealed” (although, technically it’s not really sealed).

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:45 am 

Mineral oil applied to handle and saya every sharpening, and whenever either appears to need it (pro re nata).

BDL

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:03 am 

Most sayas are made of untreated ho wood. The simplest thing you can probably do is go buy a $10 can of Danish oil at Home Depot. I use it for handles. It has a mix of oils that will penetrate into the wood then harden. Clean and dry your saya. Apply with one of those cheap foam brushes. Wipe off after 15-20min. repeat 2-3 times if desired. If you really want to protect it, spray it with a couple of coats of polyethylene. Are you in Los Altos, CA? I'm in San Jose.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

I prefer waxes to oils (personal preference) so I use a furniture wax on my saya's like this one:

http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/200163 ... MgodcikALA

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:50 pm 

Thanks for all the replies! My saya is just the standard Konosuke, so it looks like its untreated ho wood. I have a beeswax/mineral mix that I use on my boards, so Ill just put some of that on.

4k-nives- No, i dont live in Los Altos CA, Im from Chicago. My screen name is a reference to the Highlands of Jalisco MX.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]