It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:55 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 6 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: which 240 gyuto should i start saving for?
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:38 pm 

how will the as laser work on breaking down proteins? or cutting through cartilage?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:01 pm 

Not should you a laser use for cartilage cutting. More mass do you need.

BDL

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:27 pm 

any word on when the Richmond AS Laser will be back in stock?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:20 am 

its for preorder i see but i can't afford it yet i hope i don't miss out...why does the sakai takayuki grand chef not get much love on the forums? and is the addict a better choice than the laser if i'm gonna be doing prep and breaking down different proteins like chickens as stated or maybe lamb or primal cuts?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Grand Chef Western has softer AEB-L steel, not sure about the Wa handled version.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:13 pm 

Paul's Finest -- who sells a TON of GCs -- has a general blurb which cites a hardness range of 58 - 60 for the yo and wa lines; doesn't mention hardness in its description of individual yo knives; and claims "at least 60" for the wa.

What all of that means... Quien sabe? The situation is ambiguous enough to avoid passing off guesses as fact, against a background that Rockwell hardness can be less meaningful than people would have it, under the best of circumstances.

At a nominal 58, the yo-knives take an excellent edge easily; hold it well, but require some steeling to stay in true; the grind is thin enough; F&F is extremely good; profile is good -- but not great; handles are excellent, well-designed and sized; overall comfort is excellent. Their natural "single-steel" competitors are MAC Pro and Masamoto VG. I can't think of any other currently produced, stainless, yo-gyuto in the price range as good as those three.

Compared to some non-stainless yo-gyuto, it's a better overall performer than the Hiromoto AS (unless you're in love with AS), but not as good as the Kikuichi TKC or Masamoto HC. Of course, the TKC and HC are considerably more expensive.

The wa-GC has very little apples to apples competition, in that nearly everything else in the quality/price range is san-mai. The only single-steel, stainless competitor leaping to mind is the Gesshin Uraku, which may or may not be as nice overall (can't say, haven't tried either), but is less expensive. The buzz is that both knives are killer performers and each well-worth its money.

BDL

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:38 pm 

I am not sure what you mean all I did was let me know when it is back in stock option that is there...I would say a addict would be better if you are going to be breaking down proteins since you should never us a laser for that and you need a little bit heftier of a knife

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:43 pm 

the F&F of the Richmond Laser Super is quite nice...and as I understand its actually made in Japan too

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mark decided to do pre orders for the AS Lasers, or you can do the email notification.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:57 pm 

if you preorder how much is it and how long will it take any idea?

Page 3 of 6 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next