It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: First Knife Recommendations:Richmond vs Kono HD
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:00 pm 

I don't use a steel on Japanese knives (or anything else with a fine edge), but every once in a while if I've got a softly rolled edge (from hitting a hard spot in a root, etc.), I'll use the spine of a thick German knife to lift it back up -- by essentially stropping across it smoothly with even pressure. I then follow up sharpening/stropping as normal. More than once, that's been enough of a fix to save me from a deeper repair. A smooth steel would likely do the same job better, but it's such a rare occurrence that I don't feel the need to have one.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:47 pm 

Compare the HH to the Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:48 am 

Never used a steel...don't wanna learn.

Love BBW's and Coticules however...!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:11 pm 

What is this new HD2 steel?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

SYNDC <> It is simply a slight tweak in the elemental proportions of the proprietary alloy. Presumably slightly more tungsten, chromium, and/or vanadium. I own & use both regularly. The difference between them is slight, but the second generation steel did improve edge retention slightly.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:29 pm 

You keep searching for differences which are either very subtle or aren't there at all. By far, the most important quality about any laser is that it's a laser. In other words, a very light, thin, flexible, single-steel knife with a relatively flat face grind on both sides. After that, you're looking at alloys: carbon (White #2 only), semi-stainless (HD only) or a few flavors of stainless (19C27, G3 and AEB-L). All of the stainless lasers use similarly good alloys, hardened with equal care, to the same hardness. 19C27 wears infinitesimally better than the other two; AEB-L sharpens just a hair easier and feels an RCH better on the stones; G3 splits the difference -- but there's very little difference.

After that you're dicking around the edges, talking about things like cosmetics and whether the crowning was really well executed or not.

HH has better fit and finish than the Richmond, especially as to blade appearance. Richmond blades made by OEM often show some tool marks, and the Richmond AEB-L laser is not exception. Both profiles are good, but neither is Masamoto KS/Sab perfection -- nor is any laser. Both knives will take and hold fairly extreme angles and asymmetry, but neither needs it -- just like the other lasers. The quality of their alloys is equal and excellent, quality of the h/t is similarly good, hardness is nearly identical.

Compared to the Konosuke HH and Richmond AEB-L, the HD feels better on the stones. It may have slightly better edge taking and holding properties, but only very slightly. HD is easier to care for than the White #2 used for every carbon laser -- but is not otherwise better in any way.

I have two HDs, and think they're great. The reasons I bought HD instead of carbon was because all my other go-to chef's and slicers are carbon and I wanted a change; and, at the time, Konosuke and Yusuke stainless were too soft, Suisun and Tadatsuna too expensive, and the Gesshin Ginga didn't exist.

It appears to me that you're making yourself miserable trying to choose between equally good knives, hoping to find some sort of real distinction going beyond the glaringly obvious: The Richmond costs less but isn't quite as nicely finished as the Gesshin Ginga Inox, Ikkanshi-Tadatsuna Inox, Konosuke HH, or Sakai Yusuke Swedish Steel. The Richmond costs significantly less than the Suisun Inox Honyaki, and isn't as well finished. The Richmond costs significantly less than Konosuke HD, doesn't feel as good on the stones, and isn't as well finished.

That's really and truly IT. They're equally good at chopping onions. What else is there to say?

BDL

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

BDL <> I've been waiting w/baited breath to see how long it was gonna take for that to come out of you. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:47 pm 

Not too long, I hope. :lol:

Syndcatenova is in a familiar bind. I remember taking my kids out to breakfast and watching them spend fifteen minutes poring over the menu -- while the rest of the table waited -- trying to decide between french toast, pancakes and waffles. Three things they not only loved but loved equally; not accepting that no matter what they chose they'd be happy.

The big one is 33, has a PhD in physics, works for SpaceX, has two kids of his own, and still searches for the perfect choice. French toast, pancakes, waffles...

BDL

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

That depends on if you believe since May 06, 2013 @9:46 pm is long.

Joking aside, why am I not surprised your big one holds a PhD in Physics? :lol: Congratulations on both of your lives' achievements; I know you two made your Father extremely proud. :|

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

We call it "Analysis Paralysis" in our family :)

Page 2 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next