It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: good starter knife?
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:15 pm 

Melampus wrote:RJ <>...Regardless, at your price point, and with your steel knowledge... I think the in stock (for a moment) Artifex in M390 @$120 is your go-to.

+1

And I would go with the 240. I had a 210 gyuto but after buying a 240 the 210 rarely gets used now. It just feels more efficient.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:21 pm 

So since I can sharpen M390, I should go with that instead? I'm really itching to get a proper knife and put it to use in the kitchen.

I have a couple of M390s and it's clone 204P from spyderco and can get them screaming sharp. :)

@Jeff
I wanted to get the 240mm too for it's size but I want the M390 steel too. Yes getting both is an option but one will surely be wasted in my kitchen drawer after I've found which one I prefer. haha

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

I still prefer AEB-L, but that's totally a personal preference.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:25 pm 

It comes down to this. Your choices are:

210mm Atifex in AEB-l or M390
240mm in AEB-l

I would get the 240mm in AEB-l just for the size, personal preference.
If you want a 210mm just choose a steel and hit the buy button. They are both great steels and you won't be disappointed either way.

Or choose an entirely different knife. ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Not many other knives in that price range. The M390 in 210mm is a nice bang for the buck; but the stock ones will need to be thinned behind the edge to really make them perform. Actually, all of the Artifex benefit from a good thinning behind the edge, but the AEB-L is much easier to do this to and comes in a 240mm flavor. I usually only use 240mm gyuto's, but I have been playing with one of my Wa converted M390's before I ship them to CKTG. The 210mm size is growing on me, but I still like my 240's!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:10 am 

Adam Marr wrote:Because most people wouldn't be able to sharpen it well. That's one gleaming attribute of AEB-L, very easy to sharpen.

I was going to mention this as well. Unless a person is setup for and has a feel for sharpening...i don't think i'd recommend M390. You'd want certain stones, etc for it. My Belgiums would cut it. ;)

The AEB-L sounds like it sharpens like carbon...easy....but is maintenance free like stainless.

AEB-L sounds great to me, for anyone.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:50 am 

arjay,

Think like a cook and not a knife collector. What good is a knife which takes twice as long to dull if you don't like using it? For any home cook who can sharpen well enough to not mind doing it, the difference between 210 and 240 is significantly more important than the difference between AEB-L and Bohler 390. Go 240.

BDL

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:01 am 

BDL, you're thinking is absolutely right. Functionality of the knife should be more important than the steel used, AEB-L is no slouch too from what I read. Comparable to VG-10 right?

I've been reading a lot about how the artifex need thinning OOTB, do I need to thin the entire width of the blade? I was planning to just spend some quality time with it on the edge pro and put a very low back bevel 3-5 dps and increase the primary bevel to 13 dps(or should I go lower). Would this be easy enough to touch-up on the Sharpmaker?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:12 pm 

I'm almost settled in the artifex 240mm but got one question, what handle material does it come with? the product description says black linen micarta but below it also says 2 rivet pakka wood.

I love micarta and hate wood since it dries out overtime and sometimes rots and that means replacing them. It's going to be difficult to have it replaced since I'm from the Philippines and don't know anybody that can do that.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

They were pakkawood originally, but switched to Micarta a while back.

Page 2 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next