It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:32 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Citric / Acidic Foods on Moritaka AS Gyuto
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:47 am 

Hi All

So after the excellent advice I was given on this ofrum a few months ago, I finally made my first knife purchase and ordered the Moritaka AS 240mm Gyuto. It arrived last week and all I can say is "WOW"!

To put my upcoming questions into context I also purchased the following:

- Tamahagane Bread Knife
- Tamahagane 3.5" pairing knife
- 800/6000 King Stone Combo
- Deburring cube

I have since watched Mark's "sharpening for newbies" series and now realise that I need to order a couple more items.......a diamond plate for flattening my stones and a strop kit to get an awesome finish on my edges. From reading some of the CKtG 'sharpening forums', I have also learnt that I should practice my shapening skills on some shitty old knives before I even consider touching the Moritaka.

So, to my questions.......

1. Considering I won't be using it in a professional setting, how long should the OOtB edge on the Moritaka last before I need to put it on the stones? I don't want to touch it until my sharpening skills are up to scratch so I am considering also purchasing the Strop Kit, so that I can maintain the edge while I practice my sharpening on some other knives. Would you suggest that is a good approach?

2. Should I be considering purchasing another knife with a stainless / semi-stainless core for cutting citric / acidic foods such as lemons, apples, oranges. Rather than purchasing another Gyuoto, I was considering the Kono HD Nakiri or the Kono HH Nakiri so that my girlfriend can go nuts on whatever food she likes. Do you think I should go down that path or am i being too cautious with my new purchase?

3. Is there a special way to sharpen the serrated Tamahagane bread knife - or will I not have to worry about that for a long long time?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Michael

Post subject: Re: Citric / Acidic Foods on Moritaka AS Gyuto
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:38 am 

So, to my questions.......

1. Considering I won't be using it in a professional setting, how long should the OOtB edge on the Moritaka last before I need to put it on the stones? I don't want to touch it until my sharpening skills are up to scratch so I am considering also purchasing the Strop Kit, so that I can maintain the edge while I practice my sharpening on some other knives. Would you suggest that is a good approach?

Sharpen when YOU feel you should...is the best approach. I refresh more than i should...just because i love my Belgium stones. :) (more than my knives... :lol: ! )

2. Should I be considering purchasing another knife with a stainless / semi-stainless core for cutting citric / acidic foods such as lemons, apples, oranges. Rather than purchasing another Gyuto, I was considering the Kono HD Nakiri or the Kono HH Nakiri so that my girlfriend can go nuts on whatever food she likes. Do you think I should go down that path or am i being too cautious with my new purchase?

No, i don't buy this "don't cut lemons with carbon steel" belief....and YOU, may end up liking the Kono-Nakiri more than your Moritaka. ;)

3. Is there a special way to sharpen the serrated Tamahagane bread knife - or will I not have to worry about that for a long long time?

I'd leave it...but someone may some other advice.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:20 am 

so long as you keep a moist towel by your side and wipe the knife every few cuts or so, you shouldn't worry about carbon steel problems at all.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:50 am 
Forum Moderator

MICHAEL <>
    1. Too many variables present to estimate accurately. Get your strop, use your strop, and when the knife is dull... sharpen it.
    2. If you are considering another knife purchase solely to eliminate the possibility of using your carbon on acidic foods, then yes, "I think you are being too cautious."
    3. You will not have to worry about that for a very long time, but there are some machines & some tools that can sharpen each scallop. Just let it ride. Personally, I sharpen them on a stone & get some edge back, but it does eventually eliminate the serrations.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

1. There's no good answer here. How you use it, one what foods, on what cutting board..... But, I'd say a month or two before you notice edge degradation.

Don't buy a strop kit, strop with the 6k side of the combo stone.

2. Depends on you.....and your GF. :) I use knives like the Moritaka to cut acidic foods all day long with no worries. A simple wipe after use is all that's needed. You, and your GF, might need a stainless knife for such things.

3. Depending on the serrations (never seen that exact bread knife) you can sharpen it. But, I've had a Mac bread knife for what must be 8 years of home use and have never sharpened it.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:08 pm 

You can strop on several things to touch up your blade without having to buy a stop kit. An old leather belt, newspaper across your stone, your 6k stone itself, blue jeans, a magazine, well you get the picture. I bought a piece of vegetable tanned leather off ebay and glued it to a board and made my own strop. Much cheaper than a strop kit. You need to take care with your knife buts it's not a newborn.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:14 pm 

I have a Moritaka AS 250 Gyuto. I cut acidic foods with it all the time. Limes, lemons, tomatoes. You name it. Have had zero problems with rust, etc. I do try to give it a quick rinse/wipe which I do with all my knives as habit. That said, when the KU finish started coming off the knife, I actually tried to force a patina on the blade by using lime/lemon juice and even when it sat on the blade for 20 plus minutes, was surprised by how little reactivitly had taken place. Moritakas seem to use a steel cladding that is far less reactive than some of the other carbons that I have used, at least that is my experience. Use it and love it!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:00 am 
Forum Moderator

"so that my girlfriend can go nuts on whatever food she likes." While others have commented that you can be safe with lemons, etc, GFs and wives are another matter. I keep my knives away from my wife - lessons learned the hard way. Rust is but one way they can kill your knife.

Sharpen when your knife is a little dull - very little work. Rather than waiting until it is squashing tomatoes when sharpening will be a lot of work.

You can sharpen many bread knives (Mac Tojiro, Shun Richmond, Gude, etc) depending on the serration type using the edge of your stone rather than the whole flat surface. I can go into more detail if you want.

I use a strop for maintenance - typically with 0.75 micron CBN - about 24k grit. You can go coarser with 1.5 micron (12k) 2 micron (8k) or 4 micron (4k) depending on how refined of an edge you prefer. You can also touch up with a fine stone if you don't let things get too dull too, again depending on the level of refinement you like.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]