It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pre-sale knives
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

I just want to first say that I love your site/company! You have an excellent selection of smaller brand knives as well as bigger, more mainstream knives-all at very reasonable prices. The free shipping on orders $60+ is an awesome feature and on top of that the shipping is lightning fast! But the main reason that I'm sending this email is to let you that I think it's a great idea to start pre-selling knives - I see that you're only doing it for the one knife [which I've already been lucky enough to snag :-) ], and I think you should do it for more items! By far, the worst thing about your site is that so many awesome knives are always sold out! It's such a tease ha ha. But anyway I just wanted to commend you-I feel people who put out a quality, excellent valued product deserve some recognition and to be rewarded which I why I recommend your website to anyone/everyone.

Keep up the fantastic work,
Dan.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Pre-sale knives
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the kind words Dan, we really appreciate it.

This is something we should discuss.

The up side of taking orders is that our customers get to plunk down their money and they get the knife or whatever when it comes available. I totally understand why this makes good sense.

The downside is it puts pressure on us to deliver the goods. If I say a knife is going to be back in stock in a month and start taking orders for them people tend to get more annoyed if they've paid money and the timeline doesn't work out. They also call or email to check up on the status of their order. They also move. They also change their minds and we have to re-do the order, change accounting etc. We also have people that change their mind and cancel and want a refund which costs us fees. Finally we have to keep little pieces of paper organized and keep track of all the orders that have happened over the months and get stuff out without missing or forgetting.

I tried doing this with Devin Thomas and the knives he did with us and it went reasonably well. But all the above took place and since we're a small operation doing a pretty high volume of orders per day this extra work stressed us out quite a bit.

I currently offered this option with my aogami laser because several people had missed out a couple times on the email blasts we did for the item and I didn't want them to have to chase down the knife. I was also reasonably sure the factory will deliver these in a month.

If you guys think of a way to offer this with less complications I would be happy to try it. I know my regular customers like being able to do this and I sometimes will offer this on the side to some of them if they request it by email to me about a specific knife they might be interested in.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

MARK <> I agree wholeheartedly, but I have always thought you chose not to do this on the site due to administrative reasons such as the monitoring of paid for yet unshipped items, the potential headache of dealing with clients of whom don't understand "sometimes it take months" (I waited 10 for a Konosuke), etc.

Are you posting this customer's e-mail to receive feedback as to if the emotion is echoed by others?

If so, I ASSURE YOU it will be a RESOUNDING... YES!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

MARK <> We were posting at the same time. ;)

Clearly, I anticipated your concerns. I am curious as to if anyone has any valid input as I have to agree it is not a prudent business decision for you to assume the headache. You're already turning numbers, and I don't see a commensurate reward as per the risk. It is like the classified 50 post rule; if you know them and you feel comfortable, you make the executive decision to allow the classified post or in this parallel - hold the order.

It may be assumed as an easy thing to do, but "buyer's remorse" is WAY more prevalent then often considered.

As for the hassle of it, it is analogous to special instructions to a waitress. The kitchen has a rhythm, and when weeded - modifications outside of normal execution are of exponential detriment to timely service. Obviously, a well experienced - read CKTG team - can roll over the hindrance, but make no mistake, it's a pain-in-the-ass. I have many, well two, close friends of whom refuse special orders in their restaurants, and it is by far uncommon. One of them runs an artisan Neapolitano wood fired pizza shop that has received so much acclaim the newspapers have dubbed him the "Pizza Nazi" because of this: no add-ons, no omissions, no to-go, opens when he wants, closes when he wants, runs out of dough at least 3 nights a week, and refuses service regularly. The other one, owns a Northern Italian fine dining establishment, and is the same way, but his claim to fame is his throwing out the billionaire Palm Beachers for being cocky.

Just like the restaurant with the line out the door, people flock to it because, "it must be great!" Anything worth having, is worth waiting for. Remember that...

You built it, and they're already coming.

Hey... don't you have somewhere to be.?! ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Ya i'm open to coming up with something that might work for you guys and us.

BTW you waited such a long time for that knife from Konosuke and I barely heard a peep out of you the whole time. I was amazed at your patience considering I think I told you 8 weeks when you first asked for the knife (I can't remember what I told you actually). Hopefully your current knife that you're waiting for will take way less time. I got the package cleared yesterday from customs/purgatory so I'm sure it will be at the shop when I get back from my trip.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm an anomaly... in nearly every way.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:04 pm 

That reminds me... The $200 flashlight I ordered last June should be delivered any day now!

In that case I don't mind paying up front and waiting a year (although the manufacturers ludicrous statement is always "6 weeks"). I can be assured that I will get the item first come first served.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:07 pm 

Not from CKTG obvs!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:34 am 

I know this thread is ancient. Apologies for resurrecting it.

What about a take-a-ticket system? Instead of exchanging money and shipping information at the time of pre-order, a customer can put in a no cost reservation with no guarantee that they will receive it. When the product becomes available, the orders are filled in first come/first serve order, with each pre-order being given x amount of time to purchase before the reservation is released and made available to the next in line.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:34 pm 

I waited 2 years for my first Mad Dog. But they're not very useful in the kitchen. Great knife, though. My son took it with him to Afghanistan.

It's easier to wait for a particular knife if you already have a veritable arsenal of them. When you are moving up from slabs of soft metal to a real knife and want to do it right, and right now, you've gotta prioritize and take the best available at the time.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]