It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:47 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How do you take your Micro Bevels?
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:08 pm 

So I was watching a youtube vid of a gentleman that owns a cutlery shop in the US but spent time in Japan learning how to maintain Japanese cutlery. He was commenting on the use of micro bevels and western vs eastern philosophies on the subject. He takes the approach of creating the micro bevel on one side ONLY, regardless of whether it's a single or double bevel blade. In addition, he creates this micro bevel at an extreme 35 - 45 degree angle, which he claims is more eastern in philosophy.

I've experienced alot of success without micro bevels, but I was just curious how many of you have experimented with similar techniques as above, or whatever you've found most effective. -Josh

Post subject: Re: How do you take your Micro Bevels?
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:06 am 
Forum Moderator

JOSH <> I can only reply to your, "...or whatever you've found most effective" portion as I have not experimented with many different microbevels.

I only microbevel my kata-ha Debas as if I do not they are effectively one use knives. They are screaming sharp, but with such a thin edge considering the acute included angle of 18 degrees, they will microchip badly so I implement a 30-35 degree microbevel on the single bevel. I finish the urasuki regularly. This method, wherever it lies in your list, works well for me as it is effectively a necessity. My logic is to end up w/a total included angle equal to where my double bevel knives reside.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:24 am 

Jon's microbevel technique is effective. I use it. Try it for yourself and see.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:36 am 

Josh, could you post the link to this video. I'd like to see it.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:41 am 

I also use this technique for all my work knives and have had good success. It helps the edges last longer when pounding on poly boards.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

I believe they're talking about this video.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:07 pm 

kalaeb wrote:I also use this technique for all my work knives and have had good success. It helps the edges last longer when pounding on poly boards.

Same here :cry:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:21 pm 

Thanks Adam, that is indeed the video I was referring to. Good stuff Gents, always good to employee new techniques! -Josh

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:56 pm 

Some knives seem to work best with double-bevel, whether the cutting bevel is micro or full-sized.

Micro bevels are easy to freehand. I find that full sized bevels can be problematic unless the cutting bevel is significantly more acute than the under-bevel.

It's a natural human tendency to prevent facts from interfering with a perfectly good theory; but it's probably better to choose the appropriate angles based on the particular knife and its use than according to a philosophy.

Traditional Japanese knives, super thin knives, made from relatively brittle alloys, and with highly asymmetric face and edge geometries will benefit from a different set of angles than traditional European knives.

German knives like Wusthofs, Henckels, etc., do well with 22.5*/15* (easy to freehand). MAC Pros, Masamoto VGs and similar knives do well as with 15*/10* (harder to freehand).

BDL

Last edited by boar_d_laze on Tue May 14, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:14 pm 

Very interesting, still being very green. Something new to try.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next