It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:19 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Another "In General" Knfe Question
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:33 pm 

I've been reading about and looking at a lot of gyutos lately. The Richmond is the only knife that is labeled or described as a Laser. For better clarity in my foggy mind, what makes or qualifies a gyuto as a Laser? In general of coarse :D as I know there are no absolutes with knives.

Post subject: Re: Another "In General" Knfe Question
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Thin knives are nick named lasers. So for instance the Konosuke HD and HH and White #2 knives are all "lasers" in my mind.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:44 pm 

There's no generally accepted definition beyond extremely thin and light. Not necessarily a complete list, but to the best of my memory, the lasers (in alphabetical order) are: Gesshin Ginga; Konosuke; Richmond AEB-L; Sakai Yusuke; Suisun Inox Honyaki; and Tadatsuna.

Thin is thin, but laser is laser. Some merely very thin and light knives aren't quite lasers, no matter what they're called. The Richmond AS Laser is not a laser -- at least not in my eyes. Neither is the similarly thin and light Takeda. It may not be possible to make a san-mai laser; but one never knows, does one?

If you ever use a properly sharpened laser you'll never be confused by something which is nearly a laser. They are unique. They are, however, not the best choice for everyone.

BDL

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

In certain aspects I need to comment that the definition of laser, interpreted as thin & slim, is somewhat over rated / undefined & personal to beholder - I have some much thicker units with superb geometry that "fall" through food much better......and I have used most of the "lasers" listed. (in 240mm Gyuto mode that is)

:)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

I love how BDL just groups all of Konosuke's knives as lasers!! HAHAHA!!

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:07 pm 

Sorry to cast incoherent light on the subject. The Konosuke HD, HH, White #2 and ZDP-189 are lasers; the Ginsan, Fujiyama, Honyaki and SKD Tsuchime are not.

Laser is as laser does. Shaun seems to think the Richmond Ultimatum HD (made OEM for Richmond by Konosuke) might be a laser as well, but I don't know the knife well enough to hold an opinion... let alone share it. :p

BDL

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Richmond AS Laser is a interesting knife. Over 4mm at the thickest part of the spine on the handle side of the heel (it bulges out to that and tapers towards the end of the tang and the tip of the knife), but gets to a little under 2mm pretty quickly after that; I gotta find my calipers again to measure it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]