It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:25 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Old Dirty Carbon...rehab time again!
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

I got a few older carbon knives in for a spa treatment! 2 old Scimitars and 1 BIG ole cleaver. I got to work on the cleaver a bit this week so far!

Left side upon arrival:

Right side after arrival. Yes, there is only 1 handle scale on the knife and it was wrapped in layers of duct tape! Hello rust below the Duct Tape!!

For reference, the blade is around 12" long. HUGE blade!!! I did some grinding on it and was able to get most of the pits and stuff ground down and removed the rust. The makers mark was stamped into the blade, so the blade has a hollow there, so I gotta try some other ways to clean it up. I got some mahogany handle slabs cut and prepped, just need the final flattening and cleaning up before they are epoxied!

Post subject: Re: Old Dirty Carbon...rehab time again!
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:16 pm 

That is going to turn into a nice piece. Always good to see a good rehab project.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Got the handles epoxyied and shaped out mostly, got the blade finished and the edge convexed. Still have 2 chips, gotta ask the customer if he wants them removed cuz it's gonna take a good bit of metal away and I will have to regrind the whole edge bevel.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:50 pm 

That is crazy cool that you can take a crappy old knife and turn it into that!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:23 am 
Forum Moderator

OLD Scimitars. Plan is to rehandle the 10" one to have a handle shape more like the longer 12" Scim. Image

Hit both blades with Bar Keepers Friend to remove the patina and stuff on them. I got the 10" converted to a Wa style tang, but didn't like the way the handle came out. Tang slot got way too wide trying to rasp out the slot that far into the handle in the Mahogny and the area by the pinky got ground down too narrow for my tastes. Non stabilized wood works much quicker than stabilized stuff! LOL. Gonna do up another Mahogany handle prob on Tues and I may add in a ferrule, or cut the piece into 2 and use the aluminum tubing method.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, finally had a chance to finish these off! Got some Tung Oil on the big cleaver. Made up a slightly larger handle for the 10" scimitar in Mahogany. I cut the block into 2 pieces so I could use the aluminum tubing to join the 2 pieces; makes it much easier to install a Wa handle into the aluminum than it is to rasp out the slot! Reground the 10 and 12" scimitars so they would be thinner behind the edge and finished all of them on the ScotchBrite belts so the finish would match. On the 12", the handle was in good shape, just gunked up, so I cleaned and sanded it smooth and applied some Tung Oil. I wanted to keep the feel of the original handle, so I didn't go crazy getting all of the dings and grooves out of the 12" handle.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

...very cool

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:33 am 

Very nice work! Makes me smile!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]