It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to keep a polished edge?
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I enjoy my sharpening stones a lot; I have one question though for which I can't really find a good answer online or in the instruction videos.

How do you maintain japanese knives that are polished (16k stones)?
When I use a sharpening steel, I 'ruin' the polish (I believe there is no such thing as a truely smooth steel?).
Alternatively, I could strop. But is that something to do daily? Right now, I only have a balsa edge pro with boron carbide.

Many thanks,

Wessel

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: How to keep a polished edge?
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:45 pm 

If you have a 16k hand stone strop on it.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

chefknivestogo wrote:Hi Mark,

I enjoy my sharpening stones a lot; I have one question though for which I can't really find a good answer online or in the instruction videos.

How do you maintain japanese knives that are polished (16k stones)?
When I use a sharpening steel, I 'ruin' the polish (I believe there is no such thing as a truely smooth steel?).
Alternatively, I could strop. But is that something to do daily? Right now, I only have a balsa edge pro with boron carbide.

Many thanks,

Wessel

Give it a micro bevel and only sharpen that "little bit".....

:)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:13 pm 

I've never used steels...but my grandpa did. :)

I treat my kitchen knives like straight razors. I sharpen them with 'edge-leading' strokes on Belgium Blue Whetstone and Coticule (i've found that this 'ensures' a chip/wire free, clean edge...and i've confirmed the difference more than a few times on a 400x scope)...then move to med/light 'edge-trailing' strokes on chromium-laced leather strop/nano-cloth. This leaves the knives with a clean, razor sharp, polished edge. To be honest tho...a polished edge isn't THAT important to me...

Just lightly strop them on leather(with/without paste) to maintain the edge, until you need to refresh on stones again.

This is how i do my knives anyway... YMMV. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:00 am 
Site Admin

There are a wide variety of options. One easy way would be to strop with leather or balsa loaded with chromium oxide. It gives a mirror polish and will allow you to strop the edge gently and effectively.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:19 am 

• Very few knives have enough scratch hardness to retain a 16K polish in ordinary use. It's unrealistic to hope to keep it for very long on a working knife.
  • Any steel, no matter how well polished itself will scuff a fine polished edge bevel.
  • Stropping will true an edge as completely as steeling, but not quite as quickly.
  • An alternative to stropping is a simple "touch up" on your finest stone.

If you decide to strop on charged strops, use a charge at least as fine or finer than the polish on your knife. You can use just about any fine charge on just about any fine strop surface; even putting compound on an ultra-fine stone.

0.25u diamond, 0.5u CBN and 0.25u CBN are excellent compound choices. They'll refresh the edge's bite without taking much metal while the pressure of knife and strop does the actual truing.

However, no charge is necessary. You can strop very effectively on uncharged balsa, felt, leather, or even paper. My favorite uncharged strop surfaces are leather or manilla board from index-file folders.

• Whether steeling, stropping, or touching up:
  • Full length of blade strokes. No sectioning;
  • Alternate sides with every stroke;
  • Gentle pressure only; and
  • As few strokes as necessary. Two or three strokes are all that's ever necessary to true a blade on a steel; touching up or stropping may take as many four or five.
Steeling too much leads to metal fatigue and chipping. Over-stropping will almost always draw a wire. Too much "touch up" risks pulling a burr and/or metal fatigue.

Hope this helps,
BDL

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:50 am 

boar_d_laze wrote:
"However, no charge is necessary. You can strop very effectively on uncharged balsa, felt, leather, or even paper. My favorite uncharged strop surfaces are leather or manilla board from index-file folders."

Yep. I used paper when i was first starting...just for kicks...and it worked well.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:38 am 

I have an uncharged 3x9 piece of leather glued to a 1x in my kitchen that I use a lot. Works great for refreshing an edge.
Bought the leather off Fleabay for like $5 for 3"x4' piece.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]