It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:33 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Follow Up to Bamboo 150
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:20 pm 

What would be a "good" next progression stone or grit after the Bamboo 150 and before a 1k when doing repairs or setting bevels?

Post subject: Re: Follow Up to Bamboo 150
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

Chosera 400, Shapton Pro 320 or even the Glass 500 are viable options.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

Michiel's answers are perfect, as well as considering the Bester 500, which can do some repair work in its own right. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/beston500.html Just a little bit thirsty at first, it cuts well. Not as well as Shapton against the exotic steels, but on less exotic steels it cuts arguably a bit faster due to faster mud generation. All depends on what kind of steels you will be sharpening most I suppose.

I'm sure Ken has a great Nubatama option as well (hopefully he chimes in!) if you want to stay all Nubatama at low grit.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:19 pm 

Nothing.

If you have the bamboo or Ume 1k you will be fine.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:37 am 
Forum Moderator

Technically yes, but some people like to spread the workload over more stones, plus he may not have anything in between for minor repair and bevel cleanup. It's a "to-each-his-own" type thing, but personally I love having more coarse stones.

Stones below 200 grit tend to dish rather fast IMO, and I'd hate using a 180 every time I had to reset a bevel. I guess you could always just reduce pressure, but I've never used that stone so I can't really say.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:49 am 

That's the beauty of the Nubatama stones, there really is no need for a stone between unless you are doing higher wear resistance steels or traditional single bevels.

I use the 180, 1k, and 5k bamboo all day without issue :)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:10 am 

Good to see you posting Jason.
I haven't used the 150 yet(getting ready to), I was just wondering if it would be best to hit a quick tweener stone so not to have to work the 1k as hard after the 150. It is good to know that it can be done without. I guess I just need to see for myself the bevel condition it leaves and go from there. But as Shaun said, it might behoove me to have something in the 400-500 range for minor repairs or to rejuvenate worn but not gone bevels.

I'm still building my stone set to be ready for most situations. I started out just wanting a couple of stones to take care of my home kitchen knives, now I'm several hundred dollars and many stones into it and looking at more stones and several new knives!
Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:34 am 

The 1k Nubatama stones are powerful so you would not be spending an excess of time, I average 8-10 minutes a blade with the above stated combo. It's rare I would need my 400 between and really have only used it once on a more wear resistant steel. It's used much more for yanagi's and deba's than any double bevel knife.

Filling the gap with the 400 bamboo would be my choice though.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:40 am 

Thanks for sharing your experience and letting me pick your brain. It definitely helps me in making an informed decision.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:17 pm 

I like an in-between stone for a few reasons.

First, I don't always want to start at 150 but sometimes starting at 1K is too high. Second, having a stone between 150 and 1K will help refine the scratch pattern while not having to spend as much time on the 1K. A jump from 150-1K is a 7x jump and while you can do it, I think a smaller jump is a better plan.

I have the 400 Latte and I really like it. There are several nice (and recommended) stones in this range and I would include the Latte in the list of recommendations.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next