It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:48 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Gyuto Recommendations Please
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:40 pm 

BDL-

Questionnaire stealer!! I saw your questionnaire on another board and liked it so copied it and posted it here (good trick cuz it got your attention) :P

Thank you so much for your examples of when you taught knife skills, etc. I was starting to wonder if I should be looking at 240mm and only chose 210 because that's what my previous chef’s knife was (RIP). The 210mm length did push me back into rock chopping all the time.

So now my preferences have changed in that I want a 240mm and also want to go with a wa handle. Never having used one, I don't know what shape I would prefer - octagonal, oval, D. I would like to spend +/- $250 for a gyuto. I'll deal with picking out a nakiri later. I don’t want an entry level gyuto, but I don’t need anything over the top. Just saying that I’m flexible on the amount since I had my last chef’s knife for over 20 years – willing to pay a little more if there’s something that catches my eye.

I don't have experience using knives with all different types of steel but my preference would be to have a knife whose edge will hold the sharpening for a long time. I don't have kids around so I'm not worried about general misuse. I thought this site provided an excellent overview of steel types but still don't have a preference without someone pointing me in the right direction. http://knifewear.com/knife_steel.asp

After watching some youtube knife review videos I think that I should be looking for a blade with a convex edge. That way my pet peeve about potatoes/carrots sticking to the knife can be alleviated. And I don’t want to deal with a knife that has wedging problems right away. Because I haven’t ever thinned a knife and don’t feel comfortable taking sandpaper to my new knife handle I would really like recs for a knife that is sharp OOTB and fit and finish should not have to be messed with.

There is a knife in the classified ads for sale with a decent price. It’s a Hokiyama Sakon Damascus. The length is a 210 though and I don’t know how well it would do with with the “all important requirements” stated above. ☺ Since I don’t sharpen yet I don’t know if a used knife is the best idea but it’s only been used for a few weeks.

Thanks again for your reply and by the way, I sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

KIKI <> I think I understand the point you are skirting around with the Hokiyama being used. But if that "point" is predicated upon an out-of-the-box edge, that used Hokiyama sure looks like it's already been sharpened... and roughly at that. Albeit, photo resolution is quite poor, but the first photo looks like it was sharpened on a cinder block. I can be wrong because the resolution is just SO poor, but that first photo seems telling.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:54 pm 

Thanks. I don't want to be re-listing it in a week :)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

KIKI <> Even if it is rough on the edge, there is nothing that can't be swiftly sharpened out of it.

I am not saying the blade is poorly sharpened, but I am saying the one thing I've learned from years of buying things sight unseen is to thoroughly exhaust due diligence. I would ask for high resolution pictures, and I would ask the question outright, "has the blade been sharpened, and if so, by whom & what was the progression?"

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2