It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: New Knives - Need help with sharpening...
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

As far as choosing between free hand sharpening and the edge pro I've done both and I personally think the edge pro is a little easier to pick up but free hand sharpening is more fun.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:14 pm 

The free hand looks fun to me. The things I am worried about are: getting frustrated if the knife is sticking into the waterstone; will I be able to maintain different angles without a guide. That's why I was leaning towards the Edge Pro. Afraid to invest in freehand stones and then not be able to do it??? Not sure if I'm over-thinking this.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Most likely, yes, you're over thinking it.

Most everyone is capable of free hand sharpening....IF they put some time into it. If you don't have any patience, by an EdgePro.

If you are the type of person who sits down with a craft, spends time figuring it out and finds it relaxing to perfect the craft....by stones.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:13 am 

Learning to freehand sharpen is like learning to play the acoustic guitar. Anyone can pick up the instrument and strum a few chords. However to reach professional level, to understand the nuances and subtlety of the art requires the utmost of patience, careful observation and perfect practice. Freehand sharpening is no different. Put down the jigs and pick up the stones, embrace the discipline. Learn to create an edge that is uniquely your own, to enhance mans most useful tool. You won't be disappointed. -Josh

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:49 am 

forthosewhotoil76 wrote:Learning to freehand sharpen is like learning to play the acoustic guitar. Anyone can pick up the instrument and strum a few chords. However to reach professional level, to understand the nuances and subtlety of the art requires the utmost of patience, careful observation and perfect practice. Freehand sharpening is no different. Put down the jigs and pick up the stones, embrace the discipline. Learn to create an edge that is uniquely your own, to enhance mans most useful tool. You won't be disappointed. -Josh

Spoken like a seasoned pro :)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:16 pm 

Hey, enjoying the journey for sure my friend. Speaking of seasoned pros, I think we'd all enjoy seeing a day in the life youtube vid of JB at PKH!! Maybe they'll let you do some creative media projects.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:44 pm 

forthosewhotoil76 wrote:Hey, enjoying the journey for sure my friend. Speaking of seasoned pros, I think we'd all enjoy seeing a day in the life youtube vid of JB at PKH!! Maybe they'll let you do some creative media projects.
+1

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:57 am 

I'll see what I can work out :D

It's different than anything I've put on YouTube, much faster, less stones and blades that are trashed. I do a lot of machine grinding now too, makes that soft German stuff real easy....

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2