It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:33 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 6 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: which 240 gyuto should i start saving for?
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:04 am 

Between the addict and laser in aebl is the only difference blade height because they are the same steel? and obviously the laser is thinner thanks for your help so far guys. If my math is right the addict is not even a quarter inch taller

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Addict and Laser are similar in some ways, but the Laser is ground noticeably thinner.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Masakage Yuki and Richmond Laser are about the same thinness behind the edge: aka Laser thinness.

The Yuki will have more weight behind that edge though, just a little bit thicker at the spine and whatnot. Profiles are very similar.

Knuckle clearance is not a problem on any of these knives. Addict is tallest, followed by Yuki, then Laser. Don't know where grand-chef stands up in this, never held one.

I think in all, you might want to go with the 240 Laser in AEB-L. They are thin knives, but they are still strong enough to handle pretty much anything you throw at them. (as long as you don't use your knives as a screwdriver, pry-bar, or bone chopper) (Oh I've seen some bad things done before!) :mrgreen:

Aaron Gibson put my Laser through some pretty rough use, and it stood up very well. The fine grain of AEB-L really does give it nice toughness at that hardness.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:39 am 

my chef was really impressed with how sharp i got the yamashin knife. But, someone used it when i wasn't paying attention and no one really knows that they need to be wiped down so its probably best for me to stick with aebl or a mostly clad blade. is the yuki noticeably thicker than an addict?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:41 am 

oh dang sorry KF i didn't see your post it explains everything i needed to know. anyone know the blade height on the yuki?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:43 am 

if i was to get the laser AS how reactive is it?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:40 am 
Forum Moderator

ORGANIK <> In reply to your question about Addict as to Laser, they are not only different in grind & height, but profile, as well. The Addict carries it's height much further forward to the tip, & has more belly, as well. Furthermore, regarding height... a 48mm tall 240 & 56mm tall 240 are as different as day & night.

As for reactivity on the AS. It is reactive, but so little is exposed beyond the cladding, it is almost a non issue. If your concern is food reactivity, relax.. it's not going to turn onions black and the like.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:20 am 
Forum Moderator

The AS Laser has a good bit of the core exposed, around 1/4" or more. But it's not as reactive as some other carbon steels are. I used mine on Onions, peppers, lemons, mushrooms, etc and it has the beginnings of a patina, but nothing really dark yet. The onions sat for a few days in the fridge after being cut up and there was no discoloring on them.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:05 am 

Hopefully the as lasers will be back soon!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:48 am 

yes same here. i want the as laser.

Page 2 of 6 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next