It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:31 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Diamond Plate for flattening.
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:20 pm 

Here's the product review I posted for the 140 Diamondplate and holder combo:

4/5 Stars (Excellent)

The DMT XXC 140 Diamond Plate (8x2.75x5/16") and Universal Stone Holder 2pc set are together an AWESOME combined value for a sharpening n00b like myself. The 140 grit diamonds are set in the top face of a solid metal matrix (nickel plated ?) - very aggressive, very flat, very sturdy, and defect free. It immediately raised mud on the first stone I leveled on it - a hard 8.25x2.75" Global Ceramic 1000 grit whetstone, and in less than 10-15mins of rubbing the two plates against each other under running water, the global stone was fully back to true ... all dishing and gouges from years of use were gone, and even the face edges felt sharp enough to cut paper (I subsequently gave them a tiny bevel, to avoid cutting myself).

A few very minor nits:
* XXC 140: I wish the 140 was just a tad larger, because my global stone overhung it by 1/4". The larger 10x4" plate (DMT or Atoma) will be my next upgrade. I also wish the plate was about 1/16" taller, to give the working face a wee bit more clearance above the ends of the universal holder.
* Universal Holder: I wish the feet were continuous, for better anti-slip resistance. As is, for serious reprofiling/repair (requiring medium or greater force, and a lot of strokes and water to clear sharf), the holder must be braced in both directions (ex: screw-down chocks), to keep it from slipping. Better feet would limit the need for full-on chocking to just the heaviest and least frequent tasks.

An awesome value. Color me happy.

Last edited by ISI-Society on Wed May 08, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:59 pm 

Ok, I decided to give the diamond plate its first real workout.

Here we have a frontier style Tomahawk replica, done in hardened steel, on a hickory handle, from way back from from my SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) days. Blade's a bit too thick for throwing, and it's already got a nasty notch at one end (courtesy of hitting a log with a hardened nail in it). Ever since the day I'd notched it, its been languishing in my closet (20+ years), waiting for a product like the DMT to come along, to breathe some life into it.

What a pleasure to finally have a stone that can stand up to some full body honing action. :mrgreen:

Anyway, a mere 15 mins later, the 'hawk emerged from a pool of sharf with the rough beginnings of a new edge ... the notch is already half gone, and I've begun lowering the angle on the edge by several degrees. Clearly there's a lot still left to do, but it's already off to a good start. The diamond plate was, as expected, untouched. A wee bit smoother perhaps (or rather, properly broken in), but still in perfect condition, despite sustained vigorous contact with heavy hardened steel. Back in the day, my old undersized (and rather clogged) Norton oil stone quailed in fear at the sight of tasks like this, as did the anemic 3/4" electric grind wheel in my father's basement. Even today, I'm sure there are a lot of natural waterstones out there that would have dished/gouged badly under such abuse, but the DMT held up fine.

Be advised: The universal holder does tend to slip on a very wet counter under medium (or greater) force, so a brace of some sort is needed for any task involving serious elbow grease. Plan your setup accordingly.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:13 pm 

ISI? Are you talking about this 2pc. set? Be aware that that set does NOT include a DMT XXC plate. The 140 grit plate is a cheap off brand plate. The DMT XXC is also a 120 grit plate and there is a huge difference in them. As far as I know Mark doesn't offer the DMT in any of the set packages. I'd hate for someone to read your post and think they are getting something they are not. Please let us know.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:02 pm 

I cut a few spacers of 1/8" (or thereabouts) plexiglass to shim my diamond plates and other stones up high enough to clear the stone holder.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

"ISI? Are you talking about this 2pc. set? Be aware that that set does NOT include a DMT XXC plate. The 140 grit plate is a cheap off brand plate. The DMT XXC is also a 120 grit plate and there is a huge difference in them. As far as I know Mark doesn't offer the DMT in any of the set packages. I'd hate for someone to read your post and think they are getting something they are not. Please let us know."

+1 This is very confusing.

---
Ken

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2