It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Workhorse gyuto: 240mm or 270mm?
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:24 pm 

I'm a line cook and have been using a 240mm Tojiro gyuto for the past year and a half as my go to knife. I just recently purchased a konosuke hd 210mm petty for my line knife and the detailed stuff. I have always loved the length of my 240mm, but lately have been strongly considering a better and longer gyuto as an upgrade to my 240mm Tojiro.

I like the idea of having a yo handle on my workhorse for prep and everything else, but would a wa handle be better for the added length if I go with the 270mm? I'm looking hard at the kikuichi tkc...

So... Which is it: 240 pr 270? Professionals out there, does that extra 30mm help out with efficiency day in and day out or do you just end up leaving it in the bag and just use that 210 or 240? Any advice or opinions would help! I know there are some of you out there that swear by one or the other..

Post subject: Re: Workhorse gyuto: 240mm or 270mm?
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:58 pm 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zq37b1wG-yo

This might help in your decision.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:13 pm 

It's been a long time since I cooked pro, but would choose a 270. Longer edges stay sharper longer, and handle bigger bundles. Longer flat spot. Less handle pumping. Besides, where's the drawback?

You might or might not want a 270 laser though. Longer knives are more flexible than shorter, and lasers are flexible at any length. If you ALWAYS keep your knife square in the cut, not a problem. But if you have any tendency to rack or torque, you'll bind. Also a laser always needs some sort of heavy duty backup.

If your line work includes a lot of tough stuff and you're a one knife kinda guy, give some serious thought to the Ultimatum either in Bohler 390 or 52100. My 10" 52100 can handle just about anything with aplomb. It's one of those "no job too big no job too small," jack-of-all trades, master-of-many types.

If I were still catering I'd bring the Ultimatum more often than my 270 Kono HD because catering always involved (unpleasant) surprises. If I were still working the line, it would depend on the line.

The two are very different knives. Don't love them in the same ways; but do love them in equal amounts; and wouldn't want to be without either; I'm glad it's a choice I get to make every time I cook.

Good luck,
BDL

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:54 pm 

rayn8689 wrote:
So... Which is it: 240 pr 270? Professionals out there, does that extra 30mm help out with efficiency day in and day out or do you just end up leaving it in the bag and just use that 210 or 240? Any advice or opinions would help! I know there are some of you out there that swear by one or the other..

I think it really just all boils down to personal preference. I find a 270 to be a bit too long for my tastes, but know several people who swear by them. My most used gyuto is probably my masamoto KS which is a tweener at about 255mm. I hardly ever wish for a little extra length on the blade, but quite frequently I find myself wishing it was a tiny bot shorter when the kitchen is full of people and space is at a premium.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:46 am 
Forum Moderator

RAY <> The common denominator here is... depends on the environment. Obviously, its a personal taste kinda thing, but you haven't developed a taste yet, so...

I find a 240 is more versatile in the regard it is befitting in more environments, but I find a 270 is superior in many environments.

Are you a one-knife-guy was a pertinent question, as well. A 270 for prep, and a 210 for service works well in many kitchens, but a one-knife-guy might go with a 240 to meet in the middle.

Buy the 270, and find out what you like. If you don't, we have a classifieds section... http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/classifieds-f16.html

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:33 am 

Thanks for all of the advice! I think I'm going to go with a 270 and try to use it as my go to knife for a while and see how I like it. Now the question is to go with a wa ks/ultimatum style or get that kikuichi tkc.... I'll follow up on this topic down the road after I pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:58 am 

One thing, which melampus touched on is size of your work area. If you are prepping on a large table with plenty of space, go big. If on the other hand, you have an eight inch wide cutting board with a couple of hotel pan bays in front of it, you should go shorter because you don't want to be forced to over extend or cut on the diagonal.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]