It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:53 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: First Knife Recommendations:Richmond vs Kono HD
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:58 am 

Wanted to know what takes the better edge and holds it longer, the Richmond Laser in AEB-L or the Konosuke HD

Post subject: Re: First Knife Recommendations:Richmond vs Kono HD
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:41 am 

The Richmond AEB-L laser is a great laser for the price. The Konosuke HD is a great laser, period.

Both HD and AEB-L have excellent edge taking properties. They are close enough (along with the other stainless and carbon alloys used in other lasers) that the knife's "perceived sharpness" -- whether fresh off the stones or after some use -- will be far more dependent on the sharpeners skill and knife and edge geometries than on the identities of the various alloys.

The Kono HD will hold its edge against wear slightly better than the Richmond AEB-L; so will the Kono White #2; so will other White #2 lasers. Edge holding of the Richmond AEB-L is equal to the other stainless lasers, whether Gesshin Ginga Stainless; Konosuke HH; Sakai Yusuke Swedish; Suisun Inox Honyaki; or Tadatsuna Inox. There's no laser currently on the market with the insane edge holding of -- say -- a Bohler 390 Ultimatum.

Lasers are all so thin, and none is so hard that no one stands out in resistance to impact burrs. None are good candidates for steeling. That means that ordinary maintenance should include at least some "touching up," to true the bending burrs which are an inevitable product of chopping. If you're very critical, figure on truing once a week in a home kitchen, and before every shift in a restaurant.

Full Disclosure: I steel my Kono HDs, but unless you combine good skills with extreme pigheadness, you shouldn't.

The differences in edge holding between the stainless, carbon and semi-stainless lasers are not enough to affect an ordinary users sharpening cycle. If you'd sharpen an HD once every two months, you'd sharpen carbon laser and an AEB-L laser once every two months too. The differences are not, in my opinion, sufficiently important to choose a carbon or semi-stainless knife over one of the stainless lasers. At least not standing alone.

If the difference in price between a Richmond AEB-L and a Konosuke HD isn't enough to make you change your meal plans, get the HD.

BDL

Last edited by boar_d_laze on Tue May 07, 2013 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:46 am 

Which one, Richmond or Kono HD will take a more refined edge. Steep edge as well?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:22 am 

Same same. They'll respond the same to asymmetry too. You're looking for differences which aren't there.

The most salient thing about any laser currently on the market is that it is a laser. You either want a laser or you don't.

Any Kono laser, whether HH, HD or White #2 will be better finished, have better cosmetics, and have a more "luxe" affect than the Richmond. So will any of the other high-end lasers. The HD and all of the carbons will feel much better on the stones. Otherwise, you're looking at F&F, cosmetics, profile, handle widths, handle woods, ferrules, dealers and price.

I love the way my HD combines carbon feel with stainless maintenance. I love its handle (the old one, which isn't offered anymore). I love its profile, even though it's not a Sab clone. But mostly I love it because it is a laser. I love lasers so much that I go for long periods using my Kono HD suji as my go-to chef's knife because it's even more laserish than the gyuto.

BDL

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:10 am 

Do you think the HD steel is better for prep?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:50 am 
Forum Moderator

...are we reading the same posts here.?!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:45 pm 

BDL, why don't you recommend steeling Kono HD?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

HD will hold it longer but it's not night and day by any means
AEB-L will take a finer edge but you've got to both have the equipment to find it and the skill to do it. There aren't many people in the world who have these!

The differences are so minute that you probably shouldn't care UNLESS you're having fun and trying to find/perfect/resolve a very specific criteria.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:45 pm 

Melampus wrote:...are we reading the same posts here.?!
:lol: You were reading my mind!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:04 pm 

Why not steel an HD (or any laser hardened to 60RCH or so)? Same reason you baby a laser cutting near anything hard.

A rod hone magnifies the potential for damage, because the contact patch between rod and edge is so small that gentle strokes still provide a lot of pressure. You run the risks of chipping the edge, or dinging it more out of true than it was when you started. Worse, many (most?) people tend to start each stroke by banging the knife against the rod; vary the pressure through the course of the stroke; and/or vary the edge angle.

Better to spread out the force over a longer area and strop. A secondary benefit is that the discipline of stropping slows you down. Rushing is never a good idea. As the saying goes, If you can't find the time to do it right where are you going to find the time to do it again?

I'm not saying you can't steel a laser; after all, I do it. But it's neither safe nor smart.

BDL

Page 1 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next