It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:53 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Masakage Koishi Question
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,
Quick question about the Masakage Koishi Gyuto 240mmknife...I see by the description that it is clad in stainless steel. can you speak to the finish of this knife? I am looking for something as exceptional as this item appears to be, but I have to admit I strongly prefer something that will keep its look over time. Any more info you have about this knife would be greatly appreciated.

Lookk forward to hearing from you,

Thanks
Dave

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Masakage Koishi Question
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

DAVE <> I preface this by stating that I do not own a Masakage Koishi, and as they are a new line via CKTG not many here are going to have long term experience with them. I do own kurouchi finished knives though, and the finish will wear... it is only natural. Different kurouchis wear at different rates, but they can be slowed dramatically by not using much force on them when washing/drying. Moritakas for instance wear rather quickly, Takedas rather slowly. Either way, many people take them off instantly and polish the blades regardless...

Some Masakage Koishi users will chime in soon enough.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:38 am 

Or maybe they are too new for anyone to provide information based on personal experience.

Is it unusual to have kirouchi finish on stainless? Seems like both do similar things to protect the knife. Or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

No, it's not "unusual" to have a KU finish on stainless

To some extent or another:

Carter's SFGZ series
Yoshikane
Masakage Koishi
Fujiwara Teruyasu
etc.

Those are the one's that come to mind quickly, I'm sure there are more.

I had a Yoshikane for several years, which has got to be similar to the Koishi (but I've never had a Koishi to confirm that), and it never lost any of it's finish. But, that's limited home use.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:05 pm 

Okay, I see unusual wasn't the best word. Is putting a KU finish on stainless primarily for aesthetics? Are there any pure stainless with KU finish? It just seems that the KU finish gives similar protection to cladding a carbon core in stainless.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

A true KU finish isn't really done for any purpose other than saving time during it's construction. It takes less time to leave the sides of the knife "As forged" than it does to finish them.

Now, that's not to say that some makers don't do it for aesthetics or because they know it provides protection to the reactive cladding....but I don't believe that is how the look originated.

For instance, Carter's HG series, per Murray, is just the SFGZ with more highly refined blade sides. More time to finish the sides = more expensive knife.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

I don't own a Koishi, but was able to try out a couple. My opinion is that the finish will outlast a Moritaka, but will not outlast a Takeda.

Regardless if you choose to remove it or not, here's what I know of Kurouchi finishes: There's hard ones and soft ones. Harder ones last longer.

Hard Kurouchi finished knives include:

Masakage Yuki
Itto-Ryu
Takeda
Kikuichi Warikomi
Teruyasu Fujiwara
Tetsuhiro (hammered finish)
Konosuke (hammered finish)
(Please correct me if any knives need added to this list)

Pretty much every other Kurouchi on the site is what I consider the "softer" finish. These are durable and I doubt they'll ever wear off. These finishes are grey in color and are smooth/polished. There is no drag added from any of these finishes, whereas the soft kurouchi can add drag when you are cutting due to the roughness of the surface.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]