It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: >> Kanji ID <<
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:55 pm 

Nice work!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:03 pm 

Awesome !

How about some details on edge angles and grinding/polishing you used ?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thank you, gentlemen.

I took off a lot of steel. So much, my Atoma 140 actually feels different after all the removal. Of note, the Urasuki is extremely pronounced on the Suisin. Going in, I was particularly concerned about retaining proper geometry considering how much height I had to grind off the knife, but I'm relatively pleased with how little I took off the back... it feels proportionate. It feels pretty much in line to where a knife would be after having I'd guess the equivalent of 7 years of professional use ground off it. Man, did I have to take off a lot of steel.

I got the whole story out of, dude. He bought the knife new in 1997, and after the previously mentioned cook had damaged it, he had just resigned it to a junk drawer for the last 15 years. :roll:

It was a lot of fun to do; meditative really. I'll most likely go back to her once our energies settle, fine tune the bevel a bit more, and then microbevel her. I have at least 5 other knives that come to mind right now that I want to get on the stones so I'm in no rush w/her. I think its best for her to rest for a moment... it was a torrent of change to a rusty old soul.

ISI <> I do not know if you are yet familiar, but Debas are Kata-ha. This means single bevel with a hollow back. On a single bevel knife, the "angle" as you requested information on, is in fact, predetermined. I hate plugging this video, but it might shed some light... assuming you are not already familiar: http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/simple-single-bevel-sharpening-t2576.html. I just measured it for you though, and she is at 17.9 degrees included as there is no back bevel. If you are in fact asking if I changed said geometry, no I did not. Although I will be installing a microbevel in the range of - let's call it 33 degrees - at the edge of the 17.9 degree bevel, in effort to strengthen the edge. A 17.9 degree edge is a very thin edge that will fatigue easily on fish bones. When just the edge of the edge is cut back a bit obtusely, edge durability is improved exponentially.

I say, "let's call it 33" because I am a freehander; jigs just aren't my thing. The 17.9 is dictated by the bevel face so there won't be much human error there, but when you're creating your own bevels, the aforementioned microbevel for instance, there will be a margin of error. The better freehander you are, the less variance you allow.

As for progression:
    Steel wool with Bar Keeper's Friend / Bon Ami abrasive powder...
    Stainless wire brush with Wenol / Flitz Metal Polish...
    Atoma 140...
    Atoma 600...
    Atoma 1200...
    Nubutama Bamboo 1200...
    Suehiro Rika 5000...
    Yaginoshima Japanese Natural (7k-10k)...
    Ozuku Asagi Japanese Natural (15k-20k) stropping...
    Microfiber polish with Wenol / Flitz...

I will most likely use the knife first & fatigue the edge so I don't feel like an A-hole going back and starting all over again, but I do want to tweak the bevel a bit more. To paraphrase what MadRookie just said, "a knife nut is never happy with his edge." I started on that knife just after 23:00 last night, and finished around 03:00. I needed to get her into shape, but now the bodybuilding begins.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:39 pm 

Very nicely done! Looks super.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

Great job!

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:48 pm 

One heck of a save! Turned out great!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:48 pm 

I bet your friend will be floored when he see it again :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:49 pm 

Hard to believe that's the same knife. Nice!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:02 am 
Forum Moderator

Thank you, guys! :)

And MCKE/JEFF... when he saw it; he really didn't believe it was his knife. "IS THAT MY KNIFE.?! NO, THAT CAN'T BE KNIFE!" :o

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:56 pm 

mckemaus wrote:I bet your friend will be floored when he see it again :lol:

Oh, you know it ... looked like that knife was his favorite can opener and tile grout remover.

I suggest never letting him see it again ... or at least not until the tip punches though his back and out the front of his sternum. ;)

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next