It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:27 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Freehand sharpening issue...
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:23 am 

Maybe you can practice on a cheap paring knife.
Try to practice that movement in the video a lot, until you get it, this practice will translate nicely into bigger knives also.

Please pay attention to the explanation on minute 16:13 referring to the 3 points of pressure.

Cheers, let us know how it works out.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

Jason has some serious chops when it comes to sharpening. I have the pleasure of seeing his knives come in since he does finish sharpening work for me and he's meticulous.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:10 pm 

Who is Jason? whats his member name? I am getting better I have been working on it a lot. I am pretty consistent throughout the whole edge except the very last say 3/4in of tip. If the rest of blade is say 15 degrees for some reason my body has the inclination to make the tip like 18 or 20 degrees...lawl. Then is messes the whole bevel at that area and is DULLLLL. So back to the muscle memory of setting angle with edge pro then copying it on my tojiro dp 240mm, since gyutos are my worst enemy with the stone.

For some reason my suji tip is sharp as hell, my guess was the longer the knife the worse I'd be but its the more belly a knife has the worse I am. Sorry for the rambling :) sometimes when I write it I randomly realize a better way to attempt it and so on.

Trying to stay sharp!

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Jason Boseman is a friend of mine and he's the one that did that video above. He does sharpening work for the store and he does really nice work. I'll bug him and see if he'll come over and say hello.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:11 am 

I am Jason Bosman,

You can now find me here and KF as Jason B. On BF as knifenut1013 and YouTube as MrEdgy81.

I'll have some more videos up soon too, one on the Artifex and some others on stones and sharpening technique. If anyone has questions feel free to ask or send a email.

Mark, I must have miss the "you have a forum" part of our conversations, nice place. I think I'll hang out for a while :D

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:17 am 

Nice to meet you Jason I look forward to learning from you. I can sharpen a petty/paring knife great! Due to the shortness and minimal time to mess up! Its the length and belly of a gyuto/chef knife that gives me trouble. I try to place the knife too force the angle too much then I mess it all up! I know its all muscle memory and the thought in my head! It's so frustrating because I comprehend all the videos I watch......grrhhhhh lol

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

Jason B. wrote:I am Jason Bosman,

You can now find me here and KF as Jason B. On BF as knifenut1013 and YouTube as MrEdgy81.

I'll have some more videos up soon too, one on the Artifex and some others on stones and sharpening technique. If anyone has questions feel free to ask or send a email.

Mark, I must have miss the "you have a forum" part of our conversations, nice place. I think I'll hang out for a while :D

Great! We just hit 1 month so you didn't miss much.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2