It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening routine and maintenance
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I am trying to find a quick honing step for routine maintenance. I recently bought a 1200 grit ceramic rod and am not happy with the toothy edge it leaves. I have the Hand American strop kit and spend the time to polish the blades and then I hit them with such a coarse rod that I wasted my time polishing them. What grit is the Hand American rod? Another option I have considered is getting the 8000 or 16000 grit Shapton glass stone so I don’t have to soak and can touch the blades up quickly but the flattening stone is so expensive. Is there a cheaper way to flatten the glass stone? Also would you recommend the 8000 or 16000? I am currently using a King 1000/6000 and then the Hand American kit with both pastes on Balsa and then the Bovine leather and this works great but is time consuming. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Preston

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Sharpening routine and maintenance
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Preston,

For maintenance in between sharpening just use your strop. The boron on leather or balsa will work well. You can skip the rod until the edge won't respond to the strop. That's what I do.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I'd just use the loaded strop to maintain the edge.

Or, if you're worried about it getting wet, buy a piece of balsa in a block and load it with compound:

http://wondertrail.com/hobby-supplies-e ... ducts.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

As I and others mentioned in another post, you can certainly use GlassStones and keep them flat with a quality diamond lapping plate like Atoma or DMT. A 1200 grit rod is appropriate where a 1200 grit stone would be, so you are certainly correct to use a finer surface for touchups. Another approach would be to split the difference between 8k and 16k and go for a 10k GlassStone or a nanocloth strop with 12k CBN (1.5 microns) on it for touchups and not worry about flattening at all.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]