It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:42 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Moritaka KS 250mm Vs Konosuke HD 240
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:22 pm 

I held back to do a bit more research (hey, I at least ordered some sharpening steels from you last week!). At any rate, seeking your advice and it comes down to this: Konosuke HD 240 or Moritaka KS 250. Again, I have plenty of good knives (misonos, etc.), but want something a bit more exotic to play with...Mostly for home use, but some outside catering.

I am an above-average sharpener, and really want to have one knife that hold a truly exceptional edge (or holds that potential). I like both the profiles of these two blades, but also appreciate the reputation Kono seems to enjoy. PS, I also understand the dramatic differences of the two steels in terms of maintainence etc. and I am very comfortable with reactive steels. Again, just want a knife that truly develops an exceptional edge and has great cutting capabiliteis. Have poured over the blade forums, etc. but without the benefit of holding a knife, have to piece this thing together by asking questions.

So, practical question: Do you have both in stock? If so, would you lean one way or another? Or am I missing something else? I am happy to go north of $350 if warrented.

Appreciate your advice and I won't pester you further.

Thanks again,

Chris

Post subject: Re: Moritaka KS 250mm Vs Konosuke HD 240
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:37 pm 

Hi Chris,

Thanks for allowing me to use your question to me on our forum.

They're very different knives.

The Moritaka is made with Aogami Super and the steel is harder than the Konosuke which has a proprietary steel that has some chromium in it. The Moritaka's steel holds an edge better. They both take a great edge. The Konosuke has better fit and finish, they're really nice knives.

I do have both in stock at the moment. I don't think you will go wrong with either one of these.

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
ChefKnivesToGo.com
(608) 232-1137
Visit our Website
Visit us on Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:10 pm 

If you don't mind, I'll chime in as well. Can't really comment on the HD but I do own three konos in white and I love them, along with owning two moritakas. The moritaka is more reactive and thicker than a kono but holds it edge a good bit longer. You'll have less to care for with the HD as it is a mix of carbon and stainless i think. But I'm really thinking that which ever one you go with you'll enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:21 am 

As a pro cook,I've switched from carbon(Moritaka) to SS(Kono 150mm petty) or semi stainless(Kono HD).
Both Moritaka and Konosuke are great knives,but Kono is way less maintenance and less reactive in a working environment.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]