It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:56 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Looking for Gyuto recommendations
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:09 am 

Pain permitting (read: surgically repaired spine), I'm hoping to make a pilgrimage to Korin in NYC sometime in the next week or so, to shop for Gyutos.

If anyone here is a NYC (or L.I.) local, I'd be happy to posse up and meet somewhere for sake or tea, and some good handmade noodles. Japanese knives call for similar cuisine. :)

Speaking of meetups, has anyone ever organized anything like a cut n cook on this site ? Memberships probably a bit thinnish and geographically far flung, but hey - nothing ever happens unless you try.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:58 am 
Forum Moderator

ISI <> In fact, there is a meetup going on in PA really soon, or it just passed.

I know Korin carries Suisin, Masamoto & Aritsugu. On my list would be a Suisin INOX Honyaki, Masamoto KS & Aritsugu A-type (just to see what the deal is with that damn steel).

My favorite Asian in the City is Hangawi; in the approximate whereabouts of 35th & 8th. Awesome Korean... Vegan never tasted so good, and I'm a bleu steak kinda guy.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:07 pm 

Unless they simply forgot to put it on their websites (whoops!), Korin does not carry Aritsugu A, wa or yo. As far as I know, Aframestokyo is the only US outlet.

Aritsugu A lower face grind geometry is right-handed asymmetric, and very thick behind the edge. As is, the knife will wedge. They require you to move a LOT of metal before they're thin enough to really perform. The blade alloy is quite tough, and not amenable to significant profiling (not that bad to sharpen, though). If you like fooling around profiling, have a belt sander, or both, or know someone else who will do it for you, Aritsugu A is excellent for its hard-wearing edge and is a good, all-around knife. Otherwise, making it a good all-around knife is a task you'll never accomplish.

Aritsugu As had a big burst of popularity a few years ago, but most of the owners moved on to other knives, mostly to lasers which were the next big thing. The A is not a laser, not a Masamoto, and not a lot of other things. To my mind it's also not worth the work, especially for a home cook to whom an incredibly hard-wearing edge is less important than a wide variety of other things. But opinions differ.

Korin is good about most things, but gives very strange sharpening advice, and sometimes gives wrong information about its products. More important, I've met quite a few people online who became quickly disenchanted with the knives Korin recommended to them and which they duly bought. While Korin is worth a visit, unless you have a very good idea of what you want to buy, you're better off purchasing elsewhere.

Try looking at the websites for (in alphabetical order): Aframestokyo; Epicurean Edge; Chef Knives to Go (here); and Japanese Knife Imports. All are notable for honest advice, good service, and excellent post-sales support. Aframes and JKI have quirky, boutique selections; EE's is larger, more diverse, and includes more mainstream lines; CKtG has the widest and most diverse selection.

BDL

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

BOAR <> I hadn't checked the site for what models they carry; I just know they carry those "brands," and of those brands - those are what I would buy. But that's my list, not really a recommendation. In fact, I spoke parenthetically about the Aritsugu as I am interested in working one into shape "just to see what the deal is with that damn steel."

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:18 pm 

Just to clarify - my primary reason for going to Korin is not to buy per se, but rather to see if I can find and HANDLE a few of the blades that are already on my list for consideration, and to hear what they have to add to my list of candidates. I will more than likely buy online (unless of course something in the store gives me a culinary boner, pun intended). Shopping on the web is great, but there's just no substitute for actually handling stuff - which is where brick and mortar stores excel.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:31 pm 

melampus wrote:I know Korin carries Suisin, Masamoto & Aritsugu. On my list would be a Suisin INOX Honyaki, Masamoto KS & Aritsugu A-type (just to see what the deal is with that damn steel).

I'll be sure to look at any western handled 240mm gyutos they have in stock for those brands. I'm almost at the point where I'm ready to start winnowing names off my list, rather than adding more to it.

If/when I get over there, I'll be sure to take a few pics (Galaxy S3).

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

boar_d_laze wrote:Unless they simply forgot to put it on their websites (whoops!), Korin does not carry Aritsugu A, wa or yo. As far as I know, Aframestokyo is the only US outlet.

Aritsugu A lower face grind geometry is right-handed asymmetric, and very thick behind the edge. As is, the knife will wedge. They require you to move a LOT of metal before they're thin enough to really perform. The blade alloy is quite tough, and not amenable to significant profiling (not that bad to sharpen, though). If you like fooling around profiling, have a belt sander, or both, or know someone else who will do it for you, Aritsugu A is excellent for its hard-wearing edge and is a good, all-around knife. Otherwise, making it a good all-around knife is a task you'll never accomplish.

Aritsugu As had a big burst of popularity a few years ago, but most of the owners moved on to other knives, mostly to lasers which were the next big thing. The A is not a laser, not a Masamoto, and not a lot of other things. To my mind it's also not worth the work, especially for a home cook to whom an incredibly hard-wearing edge is less important than a wide variety of other things. But opinions differ.

Korin is good about most things, but gives very strange sharpening advice, and sometimes gives wrong information about its products. More important, I've met quite a few people online who became quickly disenchanted with the knives Korin recommended to them and which they duly bought. While Korin is worth a visit, unless you have a very good idea of what you want to buy, you're better off purchasing elsewhere.

Try looking at the websites for (in alphabetical order): Aframestokyo; Epicurean Edge; Chef Knives to Go (here); and Japanese Knife Imports. All are notable for honest advice, good service, and excellent post-sales support. Aframes and JKI have quirky, boutique selections; EE's is larger, more diverse, and includes more mainstream lines; CKtG has the widest and most diverse selection.

BDL

+ this site which you omitted....

http://japanesechefsknife.com/

:)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:26 pm 

Yes. JCK is an excellent e-tailer with a diverse stock, including many excellent knives. If they're not the world's greatest experts at keeping shipping prices and custom duties down, they're at least tied. On the down side, they're not good at detailed, individually-tailored advice, and there are (or were) some anecdotal instances in the US with post-sales service which I found troubling.

Unless a US buyer wants something particular to JCK, I think (s)he can do better at the Fab Four. For Americans, I'd put JKI in the very next tier -- along with Korin.

BDL

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2