It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shapton GS Pro vs Shapton GS
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

Raibeaux wrote: "Still looking for THE knife(s)."

Good luck... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:44 am 

No problem. It'll be available as soon as they open up Area 51.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:23 pm 

Madrookie: QUESTION - From what little I've read so far, I'm assuming that the GS wear a bit more slowly than the Pro because their grit is set in a harder matrix. Assuming so, does/will this present any problems with re-levelling them with a diamond plate ? Will they cause increased wear to the latter ? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:24 pm 

Also, I cant tell from the website photos, but do the GS stones have permanent grit labels someplace, or are we supposed to use a sharpie or distinguish by touch ?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

The GS stones mounted for the Edge Pro have a micron designation on the face, indicating the particle size. This will wear off quickly with use. CKTG puts a quick 500, 1K, 4K label on the back of the metal mounting plate in Sharpie, but that will wear off quickly as well.

I use white audio console tape (white gaffer tape is good as well) on the back of the metal plate and mark the grit with a Sharpie. This has held up well so far. I can always re-mark them as needed.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:24 pm 

Ah, if they have metal mounting plates, I can just use my dremel engraving tool on them. Problem solved. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:17 am 
Forum Moderator

ISI-Society wrote:Madrookie: QUESTION - From what little I've read so far, I'm assuming that the GS wear a bit more slowly than the Pro because their grit is set in a harder matrix. Assuming so, does/will this present any problems with re-levelling them with a diamond plate ? Will they cause increased wear to the latter ? Thanks in advance.

No problem with flattening them & no undue wear on the diamond plate.

I engrave the back of my EP mounted stone with the grit number - will post pics later.

:)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:17 pm 

I have had great luck with a cheapo Dymo lable printer. The sharpie on the back works too but just won't stay for long.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:25 pm 

I have that exact same labeler, in yellow, and use it for my spice racks. The problem with labels is they periodically fall off, especially in my unheated detached garage. I was looking to supplement it with something more indelible. I'm planning to use my dremel engraver.

Nice collection of stones, BTW. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:33 pm 

ISI-Society wrote:I have that exact same labeler, in yellow, and use it for my spice racks. The problem with labels is they periodically fall off, especially in my unheated detached garage. I was looking to supplement it with something more indelible. I'm planning to use my dremel engraver.

Get the plastic labels for it. They will stay on even getting run through the dishwasher.

Thanks. (That's just a few of them. Nubatamas, Shapton Pros, and home made w/ Congress blanks are not seen there.)

Page 2 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next