It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:43 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking to buy my first knife here.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:30 pm 

1. Are you right handed? Right
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for? 210mm - 240mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Either
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Japanese
6. How much did you want to spend? $200-300
7. Do you know how to sharpen? No

I've been looking at the Konosuke, Masakage, and the Richmond Laser.

I appreciate your input.

Post subject: Re: Looking to buy my first knife here.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:34 pm 

You either want a laser or you don't. In my opinion, the Masakage Yuki is not a laser, and neither is the Richmond Aogami Laser. On the other hand, the Richmond AEB-L Laser is; and Konosuke is quintessentially distilled laser goodness.

Want/don't want is a good place to start. Lasers are extremely good in terms of weight, don't wedge, edge taking and retention, other sharpness characteristics, etc., but give up quite a bit in flex. If flex is an issue you don't want a laser.

You can't transmit much force with any fairly thin, fairly flat-profiled, fairly light gyuto. They depend more on sharpness than force than would a heavier knife with a lot of mass, belly and rocker. This is something of a sliding scale. The thinner, the flatter, the lighter...

Consider the following and see if you can't sense a theme:
  • A knife is just a way of bringing an edge to a job;
  • Just about any sharp knife can perform just about any task better than just about any dull knife;
  • Sharpening is a big part of any high-performance knife;
  • If you can't figure out a strategy for keeping a knife very sharp, a very expensive knife is a waste of money; and
  • All knives get dull, and any dull knife is a dull knife.

BDL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

SLEEP <> This is the abridged version, as my whole text was timed out after I had to deal with a roof leak on MY FIRST DAMN DAY OFF in I'd care not to remind myself. :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x

The three knife houses you proffer offer quite a bit for options, and you don't offer much for information regarding your history, knowledge, or utility.

Konosuke - I recommend the HD, but that's for me. IMO the HD steel is from the G-ds; it will take whatever edge you can give it, it has stellar retention especially after the recent composition change, you don't have to deal with any of the reactive steel nonsense, and they're not cost prohibitive. You are looking at 210's & 240's. Their 240's run a hair short @235, and as they are laser light & thin, they feel extremely nimble in hand... like a smaller knife. Their 210's are really night & day from the 240 as at a true 8" & w/a height of only 42mm, even shorter on the SKD... they feel like a large petty to me. Admittedly, I am rather large.

Masakage - There are three to choose: clad white #2, etched white #2, clad AS.

The 240's run a bit big @245 so beware as you might not want that much knife. They are reactive steel so they will take great edges easily, but being white #2 it will be at the expense of edge retention. As carbon blades, they require carbon maintenance, as well. Albeit, only on the edge in two options. They, excluding the Shimo, will offer less feedback than a mono-steel blade (e.g., kono hd/hh/#2, AEB-Laser), as well.

Richmond - I will read you literally and comment on the AEB-L. This is your only stainless option other than the Kono HH of which you never specified. This stainless steel is one of the best you can get at the price point, and in the same breath, the Richmond is a great bang-for-the-buck; I am not discounting the quality of the knife either by saying that. This may potentially offer the best ergonomic for you as @230mm & IMO a nearly proportionately perfect 48mm height. She offers a thin light option.

Like I said, I don't know much about where you're at & what you need a knife for...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:53 am 

I just cook at home, so I'm not sure if those knives are overkill. I like cooking and was looking for another one. I have a Global G-2 and a Global paring knife. However, my aunt uses the G-2 and she chipped it. So I thought it was time to get a new one. Also If I were to get some sharpening stones, which ones would you suggest.

Thanks for all the advice.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

A good sharpening start would begin with something like this:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcstoneset.html

Learning to sharpen these knives is essential IMHO to fully appreciating what you have.

You don't specify which knives from each maker you're looking at.

All of them make fantastic knives and perhaps any other attributes you might be looking for would help in recommending a specific knife.

If you don't know what you're after, I would probably start by looking at the Konosuke HD knives. Great knife.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

SLEEP <> FYI: If your Aunt chipped a Global, your Aunt will chip any of these in very short order. All of the knives we are talking about here are heat treated to dramatically harder states which leave them much more brittle than the Global's steel. So beware allowing your Aunt to use a $250 knife. Just sayin...

The sharpening kit Adam suggests is awesome, and that chipped Global is fantastic training fodder. The 500 is a QUICK cutting stone so be careful when you first start using it, the 1200 is really a wonderful performer, and the 5000 feels like a creamy heaven. Watch the videos, and go to town: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/vitu.html
Adam says, "would begin with..." because you can get crazy with stones, but really the first thing you're going to need after that kit is a flattening plate which is $30 for an adequate cheapy, but you have some options:
...there is an 8pc kit that includes said plate http://www.chefknivestogo.com/knshcoset.html, but it includes a stone holder, as well. The holder is not necessary though you might like it, and at the same time you might want to reserve that expenditure as you might end up wanting a sink bridge down the road. I have two holders, and never use them in the conventional sense; I prefer a damp towel on a counter, but I digress...

"Overkill"? Once you use one of these JK's listed, you will never think the same about knives. They simply represent a quantum leap in performance, and it's worth it IMO if you like to cook.

Considering your situation, I'll repeat my original Kono HD recommendation, but I will preface it with a disclaimer that this is no Global. It is a laser thin & light knife that is in some ways "fragile." Treat her right & she will serve you well for a lifetime. Also, be aware she is "semi-stainless". This means she will stain if you leave her wet. If you leave her in the sink with water on her for example, when you wipe her dry - she will have water spots in the metal. I think the Richmond Laser might be a better choice for you in some ways or the Kono HH, both fully stainless. I'll suggest you all the links, and your only choice would be what length. Your G2 is 200mm so I suggest using that as your guideline.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rila21.html Richmond - same length as your G2. In stock @$220.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/laser.html Richmond - just over an inch longer than your G2. Out-of-stock @$230.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohd21wa.html KonoHD - same length as your G2. Out-of-stock @$225.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html KonoHD - 1.4 inches longer than your G2. In stock @$270.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ko24wa.htmlKonoHH - 1.4 inches longer than your G2. In stock @$240.

Furthermore, I recommend you using the "drop-down" on the order screen to select the optional saya for an additional $30 with any of these knives. You will want to protect your edge.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:14 pm 

Thanks for the information, I purchased the Kono HD 240. Next is the 3 piece stone set.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:42 pm 

Excellent choices!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

SLEEP <> You're in for a wonderful surprise! You just purchased one amazing knife. Have fun!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]