It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Edge Pro questions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I'm interested in ordering your "Edge Pro Custom Shapton Pro Set", but I have a few questions.

1) QUESTION: The website indicates 'out of stock' on this set ... any word on when it will be back in stock ?

2) The apparent need to re-adjust sharpening angle when switching between the visibly thinner default EP 220 and EP 400 stones and the thicker Shapton stones seems awkward and avoidable, with an appropriate upgrade. QUESTION: Are there Shapton stones of comparable grit to the EP 220 and EP 400 that will enable me to eliminate the thinner EP stones entirely, so that I have only shapton stones of uniform thickness ? For example, is the Shapton 220 a direct replacement for the EP 220 ?

3) QUESTION: Speaking of the Shapton 220, the photo for the set clearly indicates that FIVE(5) shapton stones are included (including the 220), but the product description only lists four (not listing the 220). Which is correct - the photo or the description ? And yes, if I buy a set I would indeed want a Shapton 220.

4) SUGGESTION: Perhaps consider offering a Shapton version of your chosera 'full monty' setup. That's essentially what I'm looking to put together for myself.

5) QUESTION: I have a minor problem - my primary knife (a 10" Wusthof Classic chef knife) has a full bolster, which due to years of wear is starting to get in the way of sharpening. Is there a recommended way of grinding it down to a partial bolster using the edge pro system, or so I need to send it out to a professional with a grind wheel ?

6) QUESTION: Do you accept phone orders with a valid credit card ?

Thank you in advance.

Brad

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Edge Pro questions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

1. 1 week.
2. We can't modify the set.
3. The list is correct not the photo
4. It's hard to offer tons of sets. They're confusing for us and customers alike.
5. It's difficult.
6. It's much much better if you use our shopping cart.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:32 pm 

Hi.

The questions quoted above were mine. I'm new to high end sharpening kits, so forgive the newbie questions.

2. Ok, got it ... no delete credit on the stock EP 220 and EP 400 stones.

3. QUESTION: is the Shapton 220 Pro grit approximately the same grit as the EP 220 ? If so, is the Shapton 320 Pro that comes with the Shapton EP Pro set intended to serve as a compromise intermediate grit upgraded alternative to both the EP 220 and EP 400 ? If yes, I'll probably retire both of the later unused, upon arrival, and just use the Shapton 320 as my primary initial coarse stone.

5. I'm not looking forward to having to rely on a rotary dremel, but short of round-trip mail order, or driving to/from the nearest major city for a reputable sharpening firm, that seems to be my only remaining choice. I really like my Wusthof Classic, but the full bolster is intensely annoying to me, now that 15+ years of wear has left it in the way of a decent edge.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:50 pm 

Take a look here:

the-grand-unified-grit-chart-t592.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:54 pm 

Since we users appear to lack self-edit privs, I'll post an addendum:

3. Just spotted the unified grit chart {link below}, which seems to indicate that the Shapton is indeed an interim grit between the EP 220 and EP 400.

http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/the-grand-unified-grit-chart-t592.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:54 pm 

Crossed posts ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:14 am 

ISI-Society wrote:
5. I'm not looking forward to having to rely on a rotary dremel, but short of round-trip mail order, or driving to/from the nearest major city for a reputable sharpening firm, that seems to be my only remaining choice. I really like my Wusthof Classic, but the full bolster is intensely annoying to me, now that 15+ years of wear has left it in the way of a decent edge.

Rather than having the finger guard part of the bolster removed, just buy a diamond plate like the DMT or Atoma, hold the knife at a thirty degree angle with the tip pointed up and grind the bottom of the finger guard so that it doesn't interfere with sharpening or board use. Here's a shot of my Sabatier showing the end result.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:13 am 

Ahhh, I should have thought of that.

Thank you. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

Brad - I have the Edge Pro Essential Set that comes with the Shapton Glass 500, 1000, and 4000 grit stones. It also has the drill stop collar, which is essential to maintain the same sharpening angle when using stones that vary in thickness. You can get your European and Japanese knives, even those with more wear resistant steels like M390, absolutely, ridiculously sharp with this kit.

The Shapton 500 grit stone is sufficient to start a sharpening progression if you are following the existing edge bevels on your knives and not removing too much metal. If you intend on changing the bevel angles, or thinning a knife, actions that require removing larger amounts of steel, you'll need a coarser stone or diamond plate. The Shapton Glass 320 is a good stone for this purpose. The Atoma 140 diamond plate is fantastic for metal removal, albeit much more expensive.

I recommend keeping the same bevel angles on your knives when learning to use the Edge Pro system. Practice getting them sharp, removing as little metal as possible, while still developing your burrs at each grit, etc. Once you are comfortable and confident doing this, then you can move on to changing bevel angles, knife thinning, micro bevels, etc. Start with the stock Essentials set, then purchase a coarse stone when you have the need and have the Edge Pro skills.

You'll need a diamond plate to dress and flatten your stones. I use this DMT 2x6 double sided plate for flattening: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmt2x6diplfo.html.

You can also use the coarse side of this DMT plate to take some metal off the bolster so you can sharpen the entire blade edge.

You can probably stop at the Shapton 1000 grit stone for your European knives. The Idahone ceramic 10" or 12" hone is great for maintaining the edge of your European knives between sharpenings. Japanese knives with good steel that you sharpen all the way to 4000 grit would benefit more from other edge maintenance methods such as stropping. One good way to strop without purchasing extra equipment is to setup your Edge Pro with the 4000 grit stone to the same angle you sharpened a particular knife, then use a few light edge trailing (or stropping) strokes to touch up each knife that you sharpened to 4000 grit.

Get the Edge Pro Apex. It's a great device!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:34 pm 

StevenG: Thank you for the very helpful and informative reply. :)

Looks like I guessed right right about the 320.

As for a diamond plate, I currently have Mark's benchtop XCC 140 Grit Diamondstone flattening plate on my shopping list (seems more precise and less messy than the round glass plate and silicone carbide slurry method). When I'm eventually ready to attempt thinning and re-profiling, I'll add something like the diamondplate you listed to the Apex as well. Sound advice.

QUESTION: Is there a compelling reason to buy Shapton Glass stones instead of the Shapton Pro stones ? I'm new to both products, and am interested in the pros/cons for each. If this has already been covered elsewhere, linkage pls. :)

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next