It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:07 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Petty Recommendations
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:19 am 

My confusion is now complete.

So, if one wants a 50/50 with best possible performance, are there good Japanese knives out there that are ground symmetrically? Descriptions don't really mention this, and symmetric doesn't return anything from search. How would you know which in which direction to go?

I do occasionally see Japanese knives described as having a distal taper. Is this a better answer for 50/50?

By thick edge are you talking about deba-thick or anything over "X"mm thick?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Distal taper refers to a taper in the spine only. So the spine tapers from thicker over the heel to thinner at the tip. It has no bearing on how the knife is ground symmetrically or asymmetrically.

Nearly all Japanese made, double bevel knives will have some asymmetry to them. It's how they make knives.

However, some make WAY TOO BIG of a deal of this. I know many left handed users who use asymmetrically ground knives with no ill effects. The problem typically comes when you're dealing with a VERY asymmetrically ground knife. Something in the 80/20 or 90/10 range. Most gyuto's, petty's, and sujihiki's don't come ground this way.....most are 60/40 or something close to that. Most people wouldn't even notice.

And no, I'm not talking deba thick, I'm talking gyuto thick. For instance, on a "laser" knife, it's more difficult to tell when an asymmetrically ground knife is sharpened 50/50 than it is on a knife like a Hiromoto AS.

I'll close this post by saying that I'm nuts, and there are several around here like me that are nuts as well. We're fanatical about knives, been around high end knives for years.....we can notice the most subtle nuances between knives. We notice things like what I'm talking about in this post, we study them, we practice them, we find out why they do the things they do. I can answer your questions, I can go beyond your question if we so want to. HOWEVER, I still recommend knives that I know are asymmetrically ground to people I know have no idea what it means, how to "properly" sharpen it, or what it can/does do because they're probably never going to care because they're not NUTS like me/us. Does it matter, of course it matters....but it doesn't matter to everyone.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

ADAM <> 8-)

NOVA <> Knife preference is polarizing and personal, but I can't sing enough praise for the Ginsan Kanehiro @http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagipe15.html She is super light yet she still instills a feeling of strength w/o dulling too much feedback as it is clad in stainless across the spine (warikomi). She is extremely thin... behind the edge & at the spine. She has the absolutely most appropriately sized handle in relation to blade size of any wa-handled knife I've ever wielded.

You don't reference what size you're interested in nor what duties it will be assigned. For the dollar on a clad White #1, I'd take a Goko over a Carter. The Kono 150HH/HD/#2, in which, Boar references is not at all tall as you requested. The Hiromoto is a durable Yo-handled petty, if that's your thing. The Masakage seems to fit your ergonomical request, but it is reactive & you might not be into that. It WILL feel great & sharpen well, for sure! Not too mention... it's a looker, if you care. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:44 pm 

Forgive me, but what is "the couteau office profile we all like so much" and what are some examples of knives that have it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

JEFF <> It's French for your ordinary paring knife...

Post subject: 150mm knife help...
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:01 am 

I am interested in a 150mm knife assigned for breaking down vegetables, maybe small chickens???

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:19 am 
Forum Moderator

NOVA <> That's not a lot of info, but this will work well. You have some height to work vegetables, and you have a thinner tip to bone birds, as well. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/bannofunayuki.html

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:53 am 

What about the Richmond Laser As petty? Its got the height and hardness to keep an edge right?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:40 am 
Forum Moderator

There is no comparison in height between the two. The Funayuki is probably at least 8mm taller; it is a Funayuki not a petty. The Laser will work well for birds, but what kind of vegetable prep are you doing? I mean, I can break down a cow to primal cuts with a paring knife, but it wouldn't be the most appropriate.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 pm 

I peel and slice potatoes, chop garlic, onions, green onions, bell peppers into juliennes, cucumbers for salads, small heirloom tomatoes, basil into chiffonade, and carrots into brunoise.

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next