It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm an audiophile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:12 am 

Shun is to knives like McIntosh is to amps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:05 pm 

I think Global knives can make the crap list too. Sharpened one and the edge lasted a few days. Not impressive at all. Shun knives are a little awkward but the steel quality is miles ahead of Global knives.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

MrDelicious wrote: "Horrible quality for the money, over-hyped, over-marketed and over-priced.

So what knife manufacturers are like this?"

Cutco :evil: & Global :evil: are absolutely in this category, IMO.

Shun is not, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:07 pm 

Agreed --> Cutco & Global Image
Shun is a decent knife, I just feel it is over hyped which leads to it being overpriced. Many others I would choose at it's price points.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:31 pm 

Shun is to knives like McIntosh is to amps.

How so?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:41 am 

I have to agree with Melampus
Cutco : I have no respect for their product , their pricing and their shady marketing. As far as i remember there was a thread in another forum about a law suit against Cutco.
Global : If You ever come across their ads on magazines they proudly say how the design and the steel of their knives wasn't changed since 1985.. So either way they made the perfect knife with perfect steel ,perfect profile , perfect handle (filled with sand) or rest of the knifemakers are wasting their time with trying new steels new handles ,materials etc.
Gloabal partnered with some cooking shows and gained popularity among households lately.
Shun was my first J-knife , it was such a big step up after my German battle axe. I have sold 3 shun classics that I have . Recently I bought 3 elite series for home use (9.5 in slicer , 8 inch chef , 6 in utility for $350 , end up giving the chef knife to my sous Chef . I don't regret any of those purchases

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:21 pm 

I tend to avoid the large name brands when it comes to knives - but what do I know? My speakers are concrete spheres

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Shun is not overpriced. Regardless of one's personal preferences about the profile, the fit and finish is where a lot of the time and money goes. They are all finished very well, and I've never seen one that was dull OOTB.

Overpriced performance-wise? That's an entirely different discussion, and is still an opinionated one. I will argue that the thinness behind the edge is actually pretty good. The blade profile of most Shun knives makes them not the choice for professional kitchens. That being said, what other options do home cooks have for nice knives with no learning curve? Most people don't have the counter space, or time, to devote to long pointy knives; Shun has their own niche in the market and I think they fit it quite well.

I do realize this thread gave Shun more love than it's ever seen on a professional knife forum, ever, and I just wanted to take this opportunity to clear up the last few confusions for people.

Shun: Great knife for someone who wants a nice knife but doesn't care about knives really.

Global: Drop the price about 50 bucks and we can talk.

Cutco: You mention this name whilst in my presence again and I'll cut your f**king jacobs off!! :twisted:

:D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

WTF is a Jacob? My gawd it's awkward having a creole in the room....the use words that don't exist all the time!! LMBO!!

Cutco certainly tops the list and is the Bose of the knife world.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

First of all, the original definition of Creole (capital 'C') is a mix of the original settlers: Cajun, Spanish, German. I happen to be all 3. Today Creole means something different.

That line was an adaptation of a line from the movie Snatch (with Brad Pitt), and it's a British word... like wanker, etc. Just another word for balls. :mrgreen:

Back to headphones! I love my Sony headphones. Over the ear (really on-the-ear), but loud as you ever wanted anything. They can really hurt your ears. They get used everyday while I'm grinding stuff and working, and I don't think I could live without them now that I have them.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 2 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next