A buddy of mine sent me a Sabatier to put a new handle on and clean up, thin the blade a touch and give it a fresh new lease on life. Decided to go with a Claro Walnut Burl and copper pins.
Knife when I got it:
The bolsters were a bit beat up and the scales were partially popped off of the tang. When I removed the scales, this is what I saw:
I got most of the rust cleaned off and left the remainder. Before I epoxied it, I took the Dremel to it to clean up the puts and expose fresh metal for the epoxy to bond to, but I forgot to take pics.
Now it was time to start on the blade. Thinned it out a touch, removed the finger guard, polished and cleaned up the bolster and got it ready for the new handle.
Handle roughed out and drilled, pins fitted:
Epoxying with a Kauri Saya for a knife for the same customer:
Where it is now, still have to do some clean up. The bolsters were pretty beat up and of course, like most European style bolsters, they aren't 90 degrees to the tang and were rounded at the bolster/tang junction. The slant wasn't straight, either; it got more angled as it went to the top of the bolster. I hate these type of bolsters!!! I worked the front of the wood to bevel it to get it close, but you can still see the epoxy line. I will work a bit more with it tomorrow, mix some wood dust with epoxy, remove some of the grey epoxy and fill it with the wood/epoxy mix so it will have a brown line instead of the grey line.
Quick pic of the saya for the other knife. The first one in one of the above pics didn't work out; the wood cracked when I was sanding it (used too much pressure) and the hole for the saya pin was kind of chippy. So I will use it for one of my own knives after I refinish it. So I made another one: