It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:04 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Finally some time off!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:30 am 
Forum Moderator

I just bought like 8 more Redwood Burl pieces from Arizona Ironwood! Some black, some blue! I used some Flamed Redwood before, but the figure was a bit more plain. I got some really tight Lace Redwood, but the grain/figure didn't seem to pop as much. This stuff looks really nice and has a good balance of figure/eyes and coloring.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:56 am 

Glad to see some one likes the M3 stuff as much as me! Nice work Tim!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:04 am 
Forum Moderator

I like that it doesn't add a ton of weight and works around the same as stabilized woods. It can take an awesome polish, too! I got some of their polish stuff, but then found StickFast CA Gloss Polish at WoodCraft and have been using that on the last several handles instead.

Spent like 11 hrs in the shop today working on 9 knives. I converted 4, M390 210mm Artifex to Wa tangs, thinned and convexed the grind near the edge a bit more and made up 4 Wa handles in Stabilized Maple Burl and Claro Walnut, then reground and converted an Artifex Nakiri to a Wa handle and did that handle as well. Rehandled my Yamashin Funayuki and Nakiri with Jobillo and Cocobolo and did up a handle for my Tojiro Shirogami Nakiri. I got some quick pics inside, but they sucked.

Also worked on redoing a huge, old cleaver, too.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

8 Wa handles I worked on yesterday and today!

3 Kurouchi blades with unstabilized (natural) wa handles. Ferrule on all three is wood called Jobillo, and the 2 Yamashins on top have Cocobolo as the handle and the bottom Tojiro Shirogami Nakiri has Rosewood for the handle:

2 Yamashins:

Artifex nakiri, thinned the blade and converted to Wa. Stabilized Claro Walnut ferrule and Stabilized Maple Burl handle:

4 M390 210mm Artifex converted to Wa. Stabilized Claro Walnut and Maple burl handles:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:13 am 

Nice work Tim!! Those look sweet!

Chris

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

The 4 M390 Artifex are heading out to CKTG!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:34 pm 

wow, all beautiful work!

I don't know if you take custom orders directly but I have a Tojiro Gyuto that I would love to have look like the Deba in these pics! Please let me know if you'd consider doing a custom job. Really beautiful stuff!

Page 3 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3