It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:41 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Advice on Konosuke HD
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:52 pm 

I am hungrily eyeing a Konosuke HD wa-gyuto, though hoping to find one used, as the new one is a bit out of my price range. I am very comfortable with a standard 240mm gyuto but understand that the 240 Kono is a bit on the short side and that because of the thinness of the blade, I may be just as happy with a 270mm. Any thoughts about this?

Oh, and sorry if this has been posted a million times elsewhere.

Post subject: Re: Advice on Konosuke HD
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mine are 235 on the edge. The 270 is true, unless you go to the Funayuki which mine is 276mm. Bear in mind, these are made by hand, and will vary in size - knife to knife.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:10 am 

Assuming you use a competent pinch grip, and don't squeeze the handle too tight...

240 and 270 are both middle lengths. From a knife handling standpoint, there's less difference between them than between either a 210 and 240 or a 270 and 300.

Partly because of its extremely light weight, partly because of its geometry, and partly because its extreme thinness makes for an inherent sharpness which means the knife requires less effort than all but the sharpest regular knives, the 270 Kono is extremely nimble. If you're used to a "regular" middle weight 240, it's unlikely you'll find the extra length of the 270 Kono an encumbrance to handling.

On the other hand, the 270 Kono wants a fairly large board. 16" (40cm) is probably the minimum, comfortable dimension.

To give you some idea of how large a difference good geometry and and anorexia can make, my 300 Kono suji handles as well chopping vegetables as my 210 Ryusen Blazen gyuto -- albeit with less knuckle clearance.

Of course, this all goes to hell if you "baseball" grip and/or squeeze the handle so tightly you unintentionally steer the knife.

BDL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:44 pm 

Danny,
You're right, the Kono HDs are shorter along the edge than the stated length. IIRC, my 240 is probably 232 or so mm along the cutting edge. The knife feels and handles like a shorter one, IMO. If you think you'll be okay with the longer length, you probably will be.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

Other than board size, a very thin 270mm wa-gyuto handles much the same as a 240mm gyuto. The extra 1"+ is almost undetectable. I was surprised when I used one the first time.

I still prefer the 240mm length, but that's mostly because I simply don't need a knife with that long of an edge.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:17 pm 

Get the 270mm and if you don't like it you can always sell it to me for 1/2 price. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:20 pm 

Speaking of half price, if anyone has one they want to sell, pm me. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:25 pm 

I've got a 300 mm gyuto, which when I first looked at it seemed huge. Even the 270 mm seemed huge, but knowing I wasn't going to be back in Kyoto for a long while, I went with my gut and hoped I wouldn't regret the extra inch. My wife, who I had to wean off her "Chefmate" knives with a little santoku, now considers it her go-to knife for most things bigger than a shallot. I'll even mince a shallot with it if I don't have a petty or santoku out already. It's all about balance.

Having a big enough board is crucial for a big knife. While I can use the 300 mm gyotu on a 15"x20" board, it is a lot more fun to use on my 18"x24" one.

Would I have been happy with the 270 mm one? Almost certainly. The 240? Hmmm, good question.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]