It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Yamashin + first re-handle
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:44 am 

Hi All,
I received the Yamashin white#1 210 Gyuto a few weeks ago after having it recommended to me by experts on this forum. I was warned that the ho/resin handle wouldn't do the steel justice (which is true) so I decided to make it my first re-handle. I figured a picture would be in order. Buffalo horn and yellow heart, I tried to keep it simple...the results are attached (i think). The blade has not disappointed and the new handle feels good.
Thanks all for the help! Good call, taz.
-Andre

Attachments:
IMG_752032.jpg [77.51 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
IMG_75282.jpg [41.72 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post subject: Re: New Yamashin + first re-handle
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:46 am 

Nice.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

Very nice!! Haven't tried Yellow Heart yet, but I got some Red Heart, Bloodwood, Mora, Ziricote and Cocobolo in yesterday to play with :) Buffalo Horn makes a nice ferrule, but I hate the cracks I usually find in it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

ANDRE <> I agree, in that, it looks quite nice. Glad to hear you like how it works in hand!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:05 pm 

hey thanks for the comments!
I definitely see some micro fractures in the buffalo horn. I'll keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get worse. Not sure how I would fix them if they did...
The yellow heart had a nice price on it a local shop that carries exotic woods. The rough piece didn't look like much in the store but it sands to a nice color and buffing it brings out a lot of its natural richness. With it, I got some rosewood, cocobolo and jobillo. I was thinking of re-handling my artifex suji with one of them. That would be my first western re-handle. Frankly, I was expecting a few trials and error before having a handle that suited. The first one worked so now I'm left with more wood than i expected. There's even enough yellow h for another.
"Sorry hun...guess i'll have to buy more knives. Wouldn't want all that wood to go to waste" ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:30 pm 

Nice job. Looks good!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]