It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:17 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Stones and accessories for EP
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:32 pm 

Hi all,

I have the basic EP - a few years old. Stones are the stock ones and I'm looking to replace them. I have some stainless knives (Victorinox, Wusthof, and Sabatier) and am looking to get a better knife or two from here. Looking at Gyuto's in the $150-200 range - considering the usual recommendations.

Given this, which EP stones would you recommend (Shapton, Nubatama, other)? And for a flattening plate, should I get the one the fits the EP so I can grind knives with it (seems like that would have to be a pretty bad knife to need this)? Any reason to not get the $30 flattening plate sold here?

Lastly, once I get a good knife, how do I best keep it sharp. I use a ceramic steel right now, but have no idea if that would be appropriate? Strope? Should I be using a fine stone on the EP between uses? (Yes, I have a lot more reading to do.)

Post subject: Re: New Stones and accessories for EP
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:07 am 

Did a little more reading and it looks like a few Chosera stones would be a good start (400, 800, 2000 and maybe a 5000). May get a bamboo 150 if needed later.

Still looking for input on how to keep knives sharp - what do you guys do? Fine EP stone regularly, ceramic hone, or something else?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:57 am 
Forum Moderator

Many of my Choseras are developing cracks - I will NOT by them again.

The Shaptons are splash & go - both the Pro and Glass range come highly recommended - me, I prefer the Glass range.

For low end grinding consider the Atoma plates - then you can start your stone progression at 1k or there abouts, depending which Atoma you stop at.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 pm 

Thanks MR. Did more reading - read that the pro stones are for SS, the glass stones for Carbon, or some grits for different metals. Way too confusing. People generally like the glass so I'm going with that.

One more Q: do I need a 500 stone, or can I go from 320 to 1000?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:59 am 
Forum Moderator

320 to 1k is fine - just spend enough time on the 1k with the jump.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:56 am 
Forum Moderator

"the pro stones are for SS, the glass stones for Carbon"

Actually the common wisdom when the GlassStones first came out years ago was just the opposite - that the GS were only good for stainless. I wound up arguing that the GS work well for both the carbon and stainless steels and eventually convinced some diehards. There are a few 'gray' glassstones specifically designed for carbon steels, but again I found the distinction meaningless, with the grey stones handling metal swarf and glazing a SLIGHT bit better, but not a meaningful practical difference.

"For low end grinding consider the Atoma plates - then you can start your stone progression at 1k or there abouts, depending which Atoma you stop at."

Agreed :)

What you will find is that you will use these to set bevel angles and repair edge chips. For your own knives, you will usually care well for them but you will be enlisted to repair other people's knives and they will look like hell so you need 'the rough stuff'.

320 or 500 GS is fine but both are unnecessary.

The 150 Bamboo is one of my favorites. FAST. I just got done cutting up a bunch of them for the EP. Highly recommended as an accompaniment with the 140 Atoma. If you get the 150 Bamboo, go for the 500 GS. If not go for a coarser 320 GS.

I also cut a BUNCH of Nubatama stones for the EP so expect an expanding number of Nubatama stones coming to Mark. This will include the remaining bamboo series stones and a number of Ume series Nubatama stones. Stay tuned for more info on these new choices. The range of choices for customizing your sharpening 'toolkit' is far greater among the Nubatamas than any other series of stones.

I would skip a ceramic rod and use your ep stones instead. There is no law that says you can't pick up an EP stone in your hand and use it as as 'rod' for touchups. In most instances the ceramic rods are coarser than your stones so you would be degrading the edge.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]