It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:44 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: >> Zirconia 206 Ceramic <<
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:31 am 
Forum Moderator

My girlfriend chipped my ceramic Kyocera Kyotop 155mm gyuto awhile back, and I just repaired her on diamond. I started cautiously on the Atoma 1200, and it didn't cut the ceramic. I went down to an Atoma 600, and saw some removal but not much. I pulled out the Atoma 140 with total faith I would get past those chips in no time. damn is this stuff hard! I got past the chips, but the 140 is so coarse & the ceramic so brittle... it ate the edge & caused 5 times more damage than had been originally inflicted. I was so pissed.

I went back up to the 600, and it's one of Ken's quarter plates so it's like 2"x3"... IT TOOK FOREVER TO GRIND PAST ALL THE CHIPPING W/THAT LITTLE DAMN THING. Anyhow, the progression went Atoma 600, Atoma 1200, then Ken's 6 micron diamond film on glass. It needs 3 micron & 1 micron lapping to get close to my steel edges, but damn does it feel nice in the meantime.

This was my first time sharpening a ceramic blade, and I'm really surprised how the ceramic cutting edge polishes out to look very similar to steel. It didn't come that way; new it was totally black.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Post subject: Re: >> Zirconia 206 Ceramic <<
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:08 pm 

You should thank your girlfriend for giving you a reason to do this. Looks awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

...and of course there is no bur formation, necessitating good use of a electron microscope/loupe.

Good patience exercised there!

I have the Kyotop parer - yep the edge shines just like steel when done.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

RED <> Thank you... I can't help but enjoy looking at the edge, as well. :mrgreen: As for thanking her... that's going to be a difficult one.

"Hey babe, thanks for chipping my $250 knife... so I could sharpen it! I'm so glad I had to spend an extra $80 on a 6 micron glass plate, and I'm even more glad I have to buy the 3 micron & 1 micron plates to get the knives to where I want them!"

I can hear my sarcasm exuding in the mind, percolating even amid the hypothetical.

ROOK <> An exercise in patience it was...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:07 pm 

Thats some nice work there!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks Pete. :mrgreen: It's meditative for me...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:43 am 
Forum Moderator

Yea, I had to 'thank' my wife for using my Moritaka Nakiri to HACK some stale french bread into croutons:( Completely chipped out the entire edge - on the original edge that I wanted to study a bit more before putting my own edge on it. Reminds me of my previous dog tearing up a couch down to the frame - a 'chance to redecorate'. Yikes!

Ceramics do take a long time, even using diamonds (Regular stones are useless here). And refining the edge is certainly possible as they do take a real nice edge. Diamond films are the way to go on ceramics, especially with the Heavy duty films I now stock.

Beyond 1 micron films, you can go to half or even tenth micron films OR you can use your diamond compounds on strops. As you are not dealing with burrs or carbides, you can take it all the way up to tenth micron (probably to 0.025 microns) if you wish .

Nicely done!

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:33 am 
Forum Moderator

KEN <> Beyond the obvious hardness, it took so long because the 600 Atoma was your 1/4 plate... not a lot of surface area.

When funds permit I will get the 1 & 3 micron HD plates from ya, but I don't think I want to bring her any further.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]