It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:06 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Victorinox knives not keeping their sharpness
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Melampus - there is so much great information in your knife cleaning video. I think this should be posted in the videos section for reference. Sometimes a video is worth a WHOLE bunch of posts :-).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

STEVE <> Honestly, I don't know what more can be gleaned from my 5 minutes of scrubbing knives - then how I scrub my knives, but I'll be more than glad to move it over since you feel it has worth. I'm glad you enjoyed it... thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:01 pm 

What stones are you guys using for the Victorinoxes?

I have a complete set of oil stones as well as water stones.

The best final stone for soft, tough, European alloys -- including the 50XCrMoV15, ~56-57RCH used by Victorinox for its stamped and forged knives -- is a Hall's Surgical Black Arkansas. It's perhaps a little more polish than a Victorinox can hold for long, but even so it's an EXTREMELY long wearing edge and stays sharper longer than anything I can get with my medium/fine water stone (which happens to be a Chosera 3K).

The best way to get there is with other oil stones. I pull the first burr with a Norton fine India. It's not necessarily the greatest oil stone at the grit level, but it's fast and very cheap. I follow that with a soft Arkansas, which for very complicated reasons -- many of which I don't understand -- is a much better lead into the black Ark than the India.

Norton makes very good synthetic oil stones, especially their India series. The best synthetics are probably the slightly more expensive Razor Edge stones.

The quality of Arkansas stones depends largely on where they were quarried. This is especially true for modern stones because most of the old quarries are played out. Hall's is either best or tied for best, depending on the stone. Their "Surgical Black" is the only good black on the market, as far as I know. Norton stones are good across the board, and their translucent is excellent. Dan's stones are also quite good, their "hard" is very good. Of the others, some are good, some are bad, e-bay is dicey.

Jim (JM) Bullman prefers a (Hall's) translucent over a black. While you can get a slightly finer edge with a translucent, I prefer a black because soft knives won't hold a translucent's polish for long enough for the difference to matter, the black is considerably faster, and is also significantly less expensive.

BDL

Page 4 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4