It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:09 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: First good knife
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

I love cooking, but with small children in the family, I have always opted for the “less-than-sharp” knife. Now I am looking for a good “first good knife” and am overwhelmed by all the choices. I had pretty much decided on a Misono Santoku knife (the one just around $100) based on a recommendation from my sister-chef, but after checking out your website, I wondered if the Tojiro DP Gyuto 210mm would be a better choice. Though we do eat meat occasionally, I would be using the knife primarily for cutting vegetables. I am currently using a 10 year old stainless steel, Chicago Cutlery Chef’s knife that is in desperate need of sharpening. Can you offer any recommendations?

Also, I am reading that many good knives do not arrive sharp, but have to be sharpened upon arrival. Is this true and if so, where do I find a reliable sharpener?

Thank you in advance for your help,
Elisabeth

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: First good knife
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Elizabeth

Yes the tojiro dp gyuto is an excellent choice. It usually will shave out of the box so it will be plenty sharp.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:26 am 
Forum Moderator

ELISABETH <> Regarding your sharpening service question. On the CKTG website you can find said services: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/knife-sharpening-service-by-mail.html

Furthermore, now that you are here, there is an entire sub-section of sharpeners: http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/sharpener-s-corner-f19.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:20 am 

For a little more money than the Tojiro you can get a knife with better steel in the Richmond Artifex. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar21.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:12 am 

The three obvious choices for a first good, stainless, western-handled chef knife are the Fujiwara FKM, the Richmond Artifex and the Tojiro DP. All three are very good.

The Tojiro DP has a largish, somewhat "boxy" handle, which a lot of women find uncomfortable. I think either the Fujiwara FKM or Richmond Artifex AEB-L are better choices. Of those two, the Fujiwara has better cosmetics and the Richmond has a better blade.

BDL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:39 am 

I bought the Tojiro DP Damascus for my wife to use at home and she loves it... It is razor sharp out of the box and I don't have to worry about her not cleaning right away and it rusting. It has a great western handle that is familiar to her. I haven't tried the Fujiwara... The Artifex blade is rocking sharp and easy to sharpen...

I would also recommend the Suison Inox... I was very impressed with its price point and its performance... It is in that price range and an excellent value... It uses Molybdenum Steel which is stainless as well...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:05 am 
Forum Moderator

Regarding the Suisin... it is a laser & not as "heavy duty" as one might like for a casual cook...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:17 am 

Regarding the Suisin... it is a laser & not as "heavy duty" as one might like for a casual cook...
Melampus, you're conflating the Suisun Inox (Western) with the Suisun Inox Honyaki. Unlike the Inox Honyaki, the Western is a non-laser middle-weight, entry level knife with a yo handle, and an AUS8 blade.

The Fujiwara FKM is also AUS8, and a good practical comparison. Are the Western's slightly better ergonomics and much better F&F worth the extra $30 or so? Possibly.

It uses Molybdenum Steel which is stainless as well
Moly is usually added to steel as a way of improving toughness. You see it in some carbons, most good semi-stainless, and nearly all decent or better modern stainless. Because it's so common, the terms "molybdenum steel" or "moly steel" don't denote anything special and are not synonymous with "quality." While Suisun's AUS8 isn't awful, it is pedestrian.

BDL

Last edited by boar_d_laze on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:05 am 
Forum Moderator

In fact, I was commenting on the Inox Honyaki, and I stand corrected... thank you.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]