It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Shapton Pro Sharpening Stones
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:45 pm 

Shapton’s “glass” ceramic sharpening stones get a lot of publicity, and rightly so. The Shapton glass stones are thin, light, and are “splash and go” stones that do not require soaking. Shapton glass stones have uniform surfaces that do not dish rapidly, and are fast cutting. They are easy to use and reduce time needed to sharpen a knife. Simply put, they are excellent sharpening stones. Moreover, for most purposes, you can maintain a sharp edge on a knife with only two of the Shapton glass stones: the 1,000 grit and 4,000 grit stones.

The Shapton glass series does have one major drawback. They are glass, and are more prone to breaking if dropped than many other sharpening stones. Therefore, it is simply not practical for a chef or culinary student to carry Shapton glass stones in a knife kit. Shapton offers a solution to this weakness of the Shapton glass stones–Shapton Professional Series sharpening stones.

Shapton Professional Series sharpening stones, sometimes called Shapton “Traditional” stones, differ from other synthetic, and from natural, water stones. Shapton Pro stones are made with a unique high quality cutting medium that wears far more slowly than aluminum oxide and silicon carbide that are found in other synthetic water stones. The Shapton Pro stones are dense “splash and go” stones that do not absorb water and do not need to be soaked.

Shapton Pro stones utilize a unique binding medium which is carefully engineered to reveal sharp new cutting media for efficient stock removal while retaining some of the worn media, which provides a simultaneous polishing effect. This balance results in a sharp high quality edge with less effort than other stones require. Shapton Pro stones range from 120 grit to 30,000 grit. Moreover, unlike natural stones, the grit is constant throughout the stones, and throughout the series. In addition, Shapton Pro stones don’t dish as fast as other stones of similar grit, and therefore don’t need lapping as frequently to maintain a flat surface.

Each Shapton Pro stone is 5/8” thick and has a 8-1/4” x 2-3/4” working surface. Each stone is has a unique color and a matching ventilated plastic box that protects the stone during transport, and which also serve as stone holders for use during sharpening. In short, Shapton Pro stones are light, durable, and easy to transport. Moreover, Shapton Pro stones are competitively priced. Thus, Shapton Pro stones are an ideal addition to any knife kit.

Of course, you don’t want, or need, to carry the entire range of Shapton Pro stones in your kit. Any knife kit is incomplete without a ceramic honing rod, like the Idahone, which should be used regularly to maintain a sharp edge. By adding one or two Shapton Pro stones to your knife kit, you can have an incredibly versatile kit.

The first Shapton Pro stone that you would ordinarily add to your kit would be either the 1,000 grit or the 1,500 grit stones, which are considered medium grit stones. A medium grit Shapton Pro is useful for making minor edge repair and maintaining a high quality edge. This can be a “one stone” solution. The 1,500 grit Shapton Pro seems to work better with carbon steel knives than the 1,000 grit, and the 1,000 grit seems to work better with stainless steel knives than the 1,500 grit. Therefore, if your kit includes at least some stainless steel knives, then your “one stone” will be the Shapton Pro 1,000 grit. If you have only carbon steel knives in your kit, then the 1,500 grit is a better choice for your “one” stone solution.

You can increase the versatility of your kit even further by adding the Shapton Pro 5,000 grit stone, which is considered a fine grit stone. The 5,000 grit stone is normally used as a finishing and pre-polishing stone. Quick repair or sharpening of an edge on a medium grit stone, followed up by finishing on the 5,000 grit Shapton Pro, should be the only sharpening that is needed for your knives over significant periods of time (assuming that the knives in your kit are sharp to begin with).

I have used the Shapton Pro stones quit a bit in recent weeks, and have found them to be an excellent addition to my kit. In fact, I love the Shapton Pro stones. For less than price of most quality knives, you can add the Idahone ceramic honing rod, and two Shapton Pro stones to your kit, and do all but the most serious sharpening “on the go.” You will be happy, and well served, if you add a Shapton Pro “one-two” punch to your knife kit.

Highly recommended.

For the Idahone Ceramic Honing Rod (get the leather sheath) go to http://www.chefknivestogo.com/id12cerodwna.html

For Shapton Professional Series sharpening stones go to http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shaptonpro.html

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

Post subject: Re: Shapton Pro Sharpening Stones
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

They are my number 1 stones. I have them from 320 to 30k and they are a joy to use every time.

Excellent review.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:15 pm 

They ARE a joy to use. I have them from 120 through 30,000 grit, but especially like having the fine grit stones. The fine grit stones up to 30,000 are great for finishing and polishing, and the 30,000 grit can replace stropping spray down to about .5 micron. Although the 30,000 grit is expensive, it's not so expensive when you deduct the cost of strops and sprays that you can eliminate, especially over the course of several years. And, as I said in the review, they are super handy in a kit if you are on the move, because they are light, compact, and have storage cases. PERFECT for culinary students, or chefs on the go.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:01 am 

What does the grit numbers mean. Is the higher number a finer grit? This is what I'm guessing and which would you prefer for an on the go chef. I would not want my stone breaking on me while I am traveling. Especially since I would be spending good money on them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:21 am 
Forum Moderator

I like the 1k and 5k option. The 320 is a great stone for quick removal.

320, 1k, 5k should be enough for almost any chef. Add some 1µ boron carbide or diamond spray afterwards and you have a laser :D

Higher grit numbers means finer. In compounds, smaller numbers (micron sizes) indicate finer grit

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:02 am 

I you are going to be traveling, then the Shapton Pro stones are a great choice. The Pro series was designed with the professional chef in mind who needs, or wants, to carry stones in a kit and to have them at work, without having to set up a sharpening station and without soaking. I love the Shapton Pros, and use them frequently. As a student, the Pros are an ideal choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

I love my pros and have the complete set they also have an ms series and another kind with a built in stand that Japanese woodworker sales. I talked to they and they say they last longer and cut better, I have one of the ms series they are not as good but still work. Peace bullman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:20 pm 

I agree with JMbullman. I have a complete set of the Pro series, and for convenience and quality, you simply can't go wrong. If you want to get into other stones, such as the wonderful new Nubatama Bamboo stones, or Japanese naturals, at a later time when you have more money and a place to set up a workstation, then that is fun, too. Until then, the Shapton Pros are ideal for culinary students.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:31 am 

I am going to check those out. I just got a stone my chef gave to me and it works real nice. it just has a crack and some of the end is broken. i think thats why he gave it to me haha.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Another option if you want to lighten your load and I don't usually recommend combos is the norton sets the lower 2 grits are ok but the 4/8 combo is a hell of a stone and I haven t seen anything it won't cust yet. Don't get me wrong I prefer shaptons but the norton combos might lighten your load. Just a thought jmbullman

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next