It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:38 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rewarding myself with a new knife
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:06 pm 

So, I just got promoted at work so what better time to reward myself with a new shiny sharp thing? I will be doing more butchery now; such as, breaking down chickens, tenderloins, strip steaks, ribeye's and skinning salmon. I feel most of these tasks are easily done using my Konosuke HD (minus the chickens, I use a Henkel boning knife). So, I wanted to possibly upgrade and get a Honesuki. I also read that Honesuki's can be used as a petty too. What are your thought's on that? I am right handed and sharpen my knives pretty well myself. I prefer Japanese handles. I keep my knives clean so I was looking at Semi or possible full carbon. What are some suggestions for a few good knives? My budget is $150-200. Also, Mark when will you be getting some back in stock?

Post subject: Re: Rewarding myself with a new knife
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

CREECH <> I'll throw in my two cents touching upon the subject.

I have a Konosuke 150HD Honesuki & had a Moritaka 150AS. The Kono is not listed on the site as a right-handed kata-ha style single bevel, but it is. It is not big beveled like you might be imagining as it is still a thin knife, but it's a 90/10 right hander. The HD steel... what can I say that you don't already know as an owner.. IT IS FROM THE GODS.

The Moritaka is 50/50 with a pretty nice grind for a Moritaka, at least this one. It was a super exaggerated convex so much so that I could roll her considerably on her bevel. It was interesting sharpening her - sort of riding a wave off the bevel to find my cutting edge, and the AS... sick sharp.. and I mean sick. Way up there in sharpest knives I've owned. Dissects flesh like a scalpel... really.

As for the petty usage, my Kono... I can't imagine I would like the 90/10 as a petty, and overall, I'm not a fan of the profile as a petty. I know you could, but I have a petty as a petty. I prefer to keep that screaming edge on the Honesuki for its designed duty rather than using it superfluously as a petty.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:16 am 

+1 on the Moritaka. I have one also and yes, It is really that sharp. Great steel. I break down chickens more than any other task. I don't think this knife has made me more efficient from what I was using, it is though more enjoyable. I probably do get a little better yield with it though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:12 am 

Melampus- You are exactly right about the Kono. I love that knife! It is light and super sharp. I would buy another in a heartbeat. The Moritaka sounds nice. I was actually looking at maybe getting an AS for home use but I might as well look into a work knife. Being that I am not familiar with sharpening 90/10, would it be something I would have a problem with?

Red- Yeah, I just like sharp knives. I can get my boning knife sharp but nothing like my Kono. I do like the hard AS steel.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:28 am 
Forum Moderator

BT <> Sharpening a Kata-ha is no more difficult then a double bevel... actually I find it easier. You grind flat on the single bevel so it holds its own angle, and you grind the back side flat on the stone only 1:10 to the front.

As for the Moritaka... it's a great knife. And even though its reactive, when you're cleaning chickens at your work - you're most likely only going to be cleaning chickens. So caring for the knife, won't be much of a factor. Unlike a Gyuto during service where you can get just too busy to wipe down after use.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:22 pm 

Of the five primary knives I use two are Konosuke HD's. For a Honesuke, check out the Tojiro DP for $80. It's a 90/10 bevel but people reach for it as a petty because it looks like it could be used as one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:48 pm 

Mel- You make a good point about keeping the knife clean. I do like that about the Kono since it's semi. I sometimes get busy and don't wipe my blade down but that never happens with my boning knife as I take it and wash it right away. Maybe it would be a good time to get a carbon blade. I've wanted one to see what kind of edge it can take.

Mano- I agree with you, Hd's are great knives. I love mine! I'll have to check out the dp. I've heard good things about tojiro.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:55 pm 

For gyuto's and petty's I've tried Takeda AS, Masamoto KS, Kono HD and others for fun and looking for "the one." For a honesuki the Tojiro is it. IMO, at least, there's no reason to spend a lot of money for a work horse knife when the $80 one does an excellent job. A lot of pro chefs agree.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]