It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:39 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: polishing and re-etching
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:09 pm 

I own a kikuichi knife that was given to me by a friend I was wondering if you knew where I can get the blade polished the handle is in great condition but he didn't really take care of the blade there are little scratches where he sharpened it on a steel and scuffs. Also maybe get the etching redone on the knife.
-Ralph

Post subject: Re: polishing and re-etching
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ralph,

Yes, my friend Shaun Fernandez does really nice polishing and finishing work for knives. I'll point him here so he can discuss it with you.

Mark

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks for mentioning me Mark. ;)

I'd be more than happy to take care of that blade for you if you need it refinished. May I ask, what kind of Kikuichi is it? It sounds like it's either damascus or clad if you need re-etching done. Either way, I can do refinishing and etching for about $25, and that will include any sharpening or minor repair work that is needed as well. Turnaround will be about 2-3 days from when I receive the knife, and I can notify you as soon as it ships back.

Please let me know if you're interested, I will be happy to send you my address and details. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:23 pm 

Yes I am definitely interested I own a stainless steel elite gold gyuto by re etching I mean the Japanese characters on the blade you can hardly see them

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

Unfortunately etching in this case does not mean redoing the kanji characters on your knife. The Etching I am speaking of in this case is bringing out the contrast on a damascus blade, or clad blade, by treating the steel in a solution (ferric chloride, or I believe even Nitric acid?) to bring the differences in the steels out. The differences between the 2 steels is what gives you that beautiful contrast. If you scratch a damascus blade, you generally need to refinish it, etch it, then polish it, in order to get that factory look back.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:47 pm 

I'm still interested in getting it polished

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Etching, polishing, and sharpening is $25, plus whatever return shipping is. Turnaround time is 2 to 3 days. The knife should look brand new when I'm done. Message me for more details, simple as that! :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]